Author Topic: RV-1-The Dark Ranger-(whereever I got that from)  (Read 3023 times)

Offline blackheartTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
RV-1-The Dark Ranger-(whereever I got that from)
« on: April 13, 2009, 09:03:09 AM »
Hey. It's been a long time again. I just wanted you to know about my new robot...which is almost complete. Unlike my second  robot which was a modified RC car, this was built from scratch. Also, I didn't go for speed, but quality.

4 HSR-1422CR continuous rotation servos allow the rover to move. I could have used two servos and some form of transmission, but out of pure glutton I used 4 independent servos.

As for the chassis, I used something called etalbond. For those of you who don't know what etalbond is, check this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etalbond

I used one piece for the bottom(I bent it so the top on can fit on it), one smaller piece for the top and 2 side panels on which I attached the servos( I had a really nice idea. I cut little rectangles out of the side panels and in those holes, I attached the servos).

The material(etalbond) is all black.

My old trustworthy arduino(soon to be replaced with an axon or arduino mega) is still used as the brain on this rover.

As sensors, I was going to use 3 SHARP IR rangefinders(10cm-80cm) mounted on the front, but that is not very efficient. So I took it to the next level(Yeah, I'm good...and also very modest) and ordered myself 2 cheap servos. I am going to place 2 sensors on the new servos(one in the back, one in the front) and I am going to attach the 3rd sensor on the bottom of the rover. This way, the rover will know if it is gonna fall.

The chassis is all done, the motors are in place, I have to attach the sensors and finish up positioning the electronics for better weight distribution. I have some pictures and I will post them soon.

I am also working on an autonomous RC heli and a small beambot for my little brother.

P.S. I recently got my breadboard and I was analyzing it when I made an incredible discovery.

If you're cheap or if you live in a place where you can't find breadboards, you can make one very easily. Just take about 200(depending on the desired size of the breadboard) female(or male if it suits your needs)  pins and solder them on a regular Perforated(pcb) board.

Connect them in either way you want...Longitudinal or Latitudinal(Horizontal or Vertical).

On my next robot, I am gonna use the experience I got from this rover, but I want it twice or thrice the size of this and I am going to make it RC'd. Or maybe add a robotic arm on this one.

I don't know!

Please give me your opinions, suggestions, etc.

I will post some pictures in a few minutes!
I'm out of ideas!

• Helpful? 1
Re: RV-1-The Dark Ranger-(whereever I got that from)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 09:38:13 AM »
Sorry for double-posting, but here are some pictures of it. It is not done yet!

I also have a top panel, but I didn't have it on because I am still working on the inside of the robot!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 01:23:04 PM by blackheart »
I'm out of ideas!

Offline madchimp

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 02:55:00 PM »
Seems like a pretty big bot to be driven by servos especially in a skid steer configuration. Looking good though and I like the idea for the chassis material never heard of it before.

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 03:49:35 PM »
Come on, guys, no feedback at all?
I'm out of ideas!

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 04:54:54 PM »
you want feedback eh? looks like a great bot. do you know what it its capabilities are? and where abouts are the sharp ir's? i cant see am anywhere... but overall good job on this one, im impressed! also how far is that autonomous heli going, it sounds like a very interesting project. make sure to keep us updated!
Howdy

Offline galannthegreat

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Blue-Lensed Blue LEDs?! What?! Impossible!!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 06:35:12 PM »
Nice looking bot! Now... do I see some sort of a computer case being used for the chassis? I know it's that Ealtbond stuff but it looks a lot like a mini atx case.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 06:36:25 PM by galannthegreat »
Kurt

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 01:33:25 AM »
Nope. The chassis is all custom. That's the whole point of this robot. Built from scratch.

The sensors are placed on 2 servos(on in the back and one in the front) on the top panel.

The heli is still an on-going project, but didn't start it yet. It's gonna be expensive(I know) and I think I should be building more terrain bots before going aerial.

Don't worry! I will build that too(this year).
I'm out of ideas!

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 01:49:14 AM »
wow, from scratch? im impressed! so the sensors aren't in the pic? and to the heli, are you making a tutorial? whether you are or not make sure you take lots of pics and lots of notes! there are very few amateur made robot helis out there. and even less of them have more than 5-10 pics. once i get a better understanding i would like to learn more about autonomous helis and perhaps make one, but that wont be for a while now...
Howdy

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 10:34:42 AM »
You guys really like the autonomous heli idea, don't you? If this works out well enough, than the heli is the next project! It should work out well, but you never know what can go wrong.

I would really like John's(admin's) opinion on this rover!

P.S. Admin, how's it going with your autonomous heli?

I'm out of ideas!

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 04:41:51 PM »
admin was making an autonomous heli? i though he just took a model one apart at this time???
Howdy

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 06:40:38 PM »
I would really like John's(admin's) opinion on this rover!
If it's your first, it's definitely good and well-organized as is.

If I were to design it, I'd say:
too heavy, use lighter material
too big, all that empty space!
wheels have too high friction for your expected terrain

P.S. Admin, how's it going with your autonomous heli?
Not very far. Decided technology wasn't ready for what I wanted to do, and I'm short on cash/time too. I'll start working on it again early winter-ish.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list