go away spammer

Author Topic: Robot snakes climbing stuff  (Read 4897 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Robot snakes climbing stuff
« on: March 04, 2008, 05:32:14 AM »
Robot snakes, in ur rubble, climbing ur legs

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~biorobotics/projects/modsnake/newwebsite/gallery/index.html

[youtube]T62E-_pQt3c[/youtube]

Offline ddemarco5

• Helpful? 0
Re: Robot snakes climbing stuff
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 06:09:30 PM »
hehe, that's cool.

Too bad it can't hold it's own power source.

Offline frank26080115

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 07:19:08 PM »
i bet you can fit a lithium cell on to the back of each servo

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 07:57:12 PM »
woaw that thing is creapy. good luck ever stopping it
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline Rebelgium

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • It's called the future ... We like it here
    • orgcrime.net
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 03:02:30 PM »
Impressive.
I wonder how long the servo's will last... Even if they are high quality.

ddemarco,
on the very last part of the video the robot swims in water and seems to be cordless.

And these big CMU prjects, do students participate in these? And for working on these big projects you need a lot of time, don't they have to take other classes?
To relax after some hard work on robotics: A very fun free online text based MMORPG
orgcrime.net

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 03:18:31 PM »
I just saw the video on /.

Unlike what they claim, its not actually one single snake robot. Its quite a few snake robots, most developed over the last 6 years.

They are made in Howie's 'snake lab', typically by undergraduates that want to get involved in robotics research. The lab has been around for I think 10+ years now, so its a technology that has been worked on by many many people over a long period of time.

on the very last part of the video the robot swims in water and seems to be cordless.
That test was done in like 2003, and I was there when they did the test. But I don't remember if it was cordless or not . . . I think it was . . . It didn't have any sensors or intelligent control.

And these big CMU prjects, do students participate in these? And for working on these big projects you need a lot of time, don't they have to take other classes?
Some professors offer course credit, but most of the time students are free slave laborers :P
Typically students beg to help out as a chance to 'get in'. But its not like you sign contracts or anything, many students stop showing up when classes and exams get hard.

When I was a student, I did research at CMU's NanoRobotics lab. I was a slave laborer, but in return my prof taught me all about how to present my research, writing papers, and all the other skills needed to be a good robotics researcher. He funded my work, and offered equipment, and course credit (that I didn't actually need). Plus, it looks good on a resume for getting a job or applying for grad school.

I credit what I learned in that lab for getting 1st on my paper at ICRA 2007 8)

Offline iiternalfire

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 06:41:35 AM »
The purpose of cords is not just power supply but also the control signals from a laptop or a PC, which is the centralized controller in this setup. The robots are not intelligent enough to decide what gait is needed on what terrain and how can it climb over stuff etc.
As far I know these are hard-coded as of now.

The innovation in locomotion is successfully demonstrated but, developing it's AI is actually challenging!!

Get Your Ad Here