go away spammer

Author Topic: Old Hardware  (Read 3763 times)

Offline Half ShellTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Old Hardware
« on: January 04, 2008, 12:12:08 AM »
This may seem like an odd question but...

Why is it that I can't seem to google up for myself a site that sells old computer hardware for cheap? I'm talking about old 500 mhz or under processors and their motherboards, etc.

Are the parts all discontinued and then recycled so that it doesn't stay in distribution long after the new processors come out?

Offline Rebelgium

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • It's called the future ... We like it here
    • orgcrime.net
Re: Old Hardware
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 11:28:59 AM »
hmm try searching for ebay...
To relax after some hard work on robotics: A very fun free online text based MMORPG
orgcrime.net

Offline Half ShellTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 01:06:03 PM »
Thats the thing - short of finding it on auction sites I can't find a set store or site that sells them...

Offline Dr_Worm

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 04:10:32 AM »
someone else posted something that you might find interesting it talks about a $72 dollar pc, it has the really old parts that your talking about. http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how20/157a2ea4fc033110vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

Offline Kagi

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 01:24:58 PM »
My suggestion to you is to check to see if there are any state or military surplus locations near where you are. I work for one of these, and to be honest with you we send all of our old electronics off to be melted down and have the precious metals recovered. A gaylord (4X4X4 box pallet basically) full of motherboards/addon cards will fetch between 1200 and 1500 dollars this way, and it's just more practical for us to send the material off and make money this way than have it take up warehouse space. We break the sorting down into pallets of Printers/tape/scanners , computer towers, monitors, and scrap wire. We have an occasional private buyer that will come in and purchase a pallet of printers for robotics or home brew electronics. We have also sold pallets of components to schools so that their classes can work with the items as well.

The majority of surplus locations I have talked to do much the same thing as this. Processors are very difficult to find, as the old 386/486 are very heavy with precious metals. I think it's near $30 a pound right now. The newer processors don't have nearly as much, but do still fetch a fair amount. As far as operation, a lot of state and federal surplus locations only sell to the general public a few times a year. Our location has a monthly sale to the public. The rest of the year is reserved for government agencies and non profits.

One thing you might have problems with is that a lot of these locations are becoming more and more protective over data security. You'd probably be hard pressed to find a location that will sell you a computer with hard drives in it or anything which can hold possible confidential data. But they should be able to just pull those items and sell you the rest if you ask.

Anyways, apologies for the long response, but i really believe that these places are a massive source of components that most people don't know about. I've picked up fluke multimeters for $5 and tek scopes for as little as $40. They're older, but work fine for everything I use them for. Aside from electronics you can find great sources of scrap plastic sheeting and often times aluminum and sheet metal. I picked up a 4X4 sheet of lexan for $1.You can get just about anything at these locations, and if you know someone who works there you've probably just found a goldmine as far as parts go.

So if you curious, do a google search for surplus locations in your area. Most likely all of your colleges will have one, and if you live near your state capital there is a good chance that a federal surplus location will be near you as well. Happy Building :)

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 09:13:40 PM »
is there maybe a chain of surplus stores that goes by a single name to help us search for them
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline SomeSaba

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 11:35:27 PM »
i acutally have one... LOl

Offline Kagi

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 08:03:53 PM »
There's not really a chain of these stores, as most of them are federal and state government owned. You can try searching for "federal surplus Nevada" or "state surplus nevada", but to find a surplus location in your area, the best thing is to look for larger colleges, and search their website for their surplus location. For example, if i'm interested in surplus in Seattle, check out UW. Their site is located at www.washington.edu/admin/surplus (They don't post very many pictures of their prepriced items). The majority of their items they sell in large lots on proxy bid, but if you click this link and look thru their old auction results http://www.proxibid.com/asp/AuctionsByCompany.asp?ahid=463 you can see that you can pick up 2 pallets of computers, ~45 to a pallet for around $225. Assuming that is out of the reach of most people, a lot of suplus locations will sell a single tower or printer for very cheap. When I have someone come in requesting an old printer for parts I charge between $1 and $5 dollars for it. Generally $1 for inkjets and $5 for something like a large office laserjet. Once you know where a location is, you can most likely ask the people that work there if any federal or other state locations are near you. Trust me, they'll generally know where these things all are.

Hope that helps. I needed some new wheels for a bot i'm working on and I pulled the paper pickup roller out of an old hp today. Low and behold the wheels off of it are almost perfect for what I needed. ~2" diameter and excellent for traction.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 08:06:42 PM by Kagi »

Get Your Ad Here