Author Topic: Using LEGO motors  (Read 2482 times)

Offline Half ShellTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Using LEGO motors
« on: December 17, 2007, 08:08:42 PM »
It occured to me in the car today that I have some LEGO motors buried around here, as long as tons of motors from back in my childhood. LEGOs themselves are pricy these days but I have a huge back catalog of LEGOs built up over the years. LEGO's gears and easy to build and accessibility should make it ideal for making a robot chassis. I did some searching and I managed to find this thusfar:

http://www.philohome.com/motors/motorcomp.htm

Specs on all the LEGO motors. They pull surprisingly low amounts of current.

Yes, I know there is the mindstorms kit - I used to own one. Unfortunately they left much to be desired and if I could maybe hook up an intro level development board like Arduino up to an h bridge controlling these motors, this could be an easy route towards building a robot.

Has anyone come across something like this before?

Offline Spoil9

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
Re: Using LEGO motors
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 03:45:53 PM »
I too have thought about this. I have done a serach on Google for pix of robots made of Legos and have found quite a few out there.
I don't see why you couldn't cut one of the Lego connector wires in half and hook them up to any MCU.
I mean, a motor is a motor regardless of who makes it and what casing it is in, they are all going to operate about the same.
Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 03:13:35 PM »
wow that chart is really useful!

Ive used lego motors in the past for robots . . . first, they aren't servos, so you'd need to use a motor driver to attach them to a mcu . . . secondly, the motors I used (I don't remember which) had very poor torque (which explains the low current draw).

Offline Rebelgium

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • It's called the future ... We like it here
    • orgcrime.net
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 04:26:09 PM »
indeed, there's nothing that stops you from making a robot out of lego's.
All you need to buy is a processor board (eg.the Arduino) and a dual H-bridge motor controller. (based on the L298 is always a good choice)

look for info on these two board on SoR and google if you need it.

Oh and a battery pack and a charger would be nice to, you don't want to use the standard lego battery pack.
NiMh is the best choice.
To relax after some hard work on robotics: A very fun free online text based MMORPG
orgcrime.net

data_list