Author Topic: A question about a digikey.com order  (Read 3672 times)

Offline Metal Slug 2Topic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
A question about a digikey.com order
« on: November 23, 2008, 06:16:46 PM »
I recently ordered some parts from digikey.com for the $50 robot.  yesterday i received in the mail a copy of their catalogue, 2560 pages - it was bigger than my telephone book!
Anyways, i was just wondering if they always send a copy of their catalogue to new customers, or if i somehow got it by mistake?  The parts i ordered haven't come in yet, but the catalogue did...that kinda confuses me.

Offline jka

• Helpful? 4
Re: A question about a digikey.com order
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 07:11:35 AM »
I also got the catalogue before the ordered parts and so did everyone I know who ordered parts from them, so consider it "normal"

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer ยท Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 10:23:13 AM »
A lot of distributors do that, though Digikey's catalogs are the largest.

All Electronics, ThinkGeek and Jameco come to mind.
I

Offline Bret

• Helpful? 0
    • Bret Jordan
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 11:04:21 AM »
I didn't get a catalogue!  >:(

I will have to look on my next order and see if there is a checkbox for that or something.

Offline dunk

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 12:00:35 PM »
so i've never got a catalogue from them in the past but i did after my last order.
i figured it was because i had the parts sent to my work address this time but maybe they just started shipping them by default.

do US customers have to fill out the stupid form explaining why you want the parts including a detailed description of what you intend to do with them?
i actually avoid using DigiKey if at all possible because of this form. i find it offensive.

dunk.

Offline ArcMan

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Mmmm... Plasma
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 12:31:28 PM »
We don't have to fill out the form, they just watch us directly  ;)

Offline Metal Slug 2Topic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 02:20:39 PM »
so i've never got a catalogue from them in the past but i did after my last order.
i figured it was because i had the parts sent to my work address this time but maybe they just started shipping them by default.

do US customers have to fill out the stupid form explaining why you want the parts including a detailed description of what you intend to do with them?
i actually avoid using DigiKey if at all possible because of this form. i find it offensive.

dunk.

you had to fill out a description of what you were gonna use your parts for?  weird.  i never had to do anything like that. i live in Canada though, maybe that form doesn't apply for over here.

I also got the catalogue before the ordered parts and so did everyone I know who ordered parts from them, so consider it "normal"

Ok Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 02:22:21 PM by Metal Slug 2 »

Offline jka

• Helpful? 4
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 01:51:54 AM »
I had my parts send to my work, because there is always someone to receive the package during the daytime. Since I used my home address as billing address, the catalogue was mailed to my home address.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 01:53:00 AM »
Nope, never got a digikey catalog and don't want one either.

Nope digikey doesn't ask for this . . . offensive to me too.

Atmel *requires* you to give them your email, phone number, home address, and other personal info just to download AVR Studio! For those who downloaded it from a link on SoR, I bypassed the form and provide a direct link as a favor for everyone here.

As with most of these forms they don't have error checking, or just basic character detection. Entering 'asdf' and '1234' is my preferred method of bypassing them. ;D

data_list