Author Topic: UART wiring and the $50 robot  (Read 2437 times)

Offline LycusTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
UART wiring and the $50 robot
« on: August 11, 2008, 04:54:37 AM »
Just a quick question. I've just finished the UART tutorial for the $50 robot using a Pololu TTL to USB adapter with the CP2102 chip. I can communicate with the PC from the robot through Hyper Terminal just fine, but there is one little problem. Once I connect the TTL to USB adapter, the board lights up. That's without me even switching it on.

So do I actually need to connect the 5V bus and GND from the adapter to the board (on the sensor side, of course)?

And how can I start data logging when I turn the robot on, not as soon as I start Hyper Terminal?

Cheers

Lycus
There are 10 people in the world,
Those that understand Binary,
And those that don't.

Offline pomprocker

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
    • Nerdcore - Programming, Electronics, Mechanics
Re: UART wiring and the $50 robot
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 10:00:59 AM »
The usb board gets its power from the usb cable.

you only need to hook up tx/rx/gnd to the board.

i learned this from having the same exact problem.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 10:01:42 AM by pomprocker »

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 10:23:44 AM »
And how can I start data logging when I turn the robot on, not as soon as I start Hyper Terminal?

Start hyperterminal first?

If you're sending a bootloader to the same UART, though, just disconnect hyperterminal (there's an icon for that), then reconnect it when ready to turn on robot.
I

Offline LycusTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 02:38:03 AM »
Hi Guys,

Gertlex: Starting Hyper Terminal first doesn't work as I can only connect to the robot when the robot is turned on, and as soon as it starts the data logging begins, so by the time I hit connect the first section on the data has gone. But, I just had a thought. I'll just put a delay at the start of the code to give me time. Thanks for the help, and for giving me the impetus for the brainwave.

pomprocker: I tried hooking up Tx/Rx/Gnd, and even only Tx/Rx, but I still get the same problem, power is leaking onto the board somehow. Well, I'll do some measurements and see if I can find where the problem is. I assume that it has to do with the ATmega168, as that is where the Tx and Rx lines are plugging in to. ??? Strange.
There are 10 people in the world,
Those that understand Binary,
And those that don't.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 07:53:31 AM »
Found the problem? I'm with pomprocker on this one . . .

Offline sotu

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 11:56:56 AM »
I also use pololu electronic parts in my robot.

I a servo controller, USB-to-serial adapter. And once i connect the USB-to-serial adapter to the computer's COM port by USB cable, a red LED starts glowing. So if i understood your first question right, you wonder if you can run your system without any batteries attached to your controller, this is wrong. All the controller (USB-to-serial dapter/TtL) does is to take some minimized required power, to indicate that it's actually plugged in.
How to build a biped bot:

Get Your Ad Here