Author Topic: Bing  (Read 4677 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Bing
« on: June 09, 2009, 06:38:18 PM »
I've been trying out bing.com, microsofts most recent attempt at beating google.

I have to say, its actually pretty good. It seems to find stuff just as well as google, and has other neat little things that google doesn't have. It even found something for me that google couldn't! Although the ads were pretty off-target . . .

Anyway, just saying you guys should give it a try. It is of course a beta, but a pretty darn good one!

http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/web/hands-on-microsoft-bing-review-603966

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
Re: Bing
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 12:24:51 AM »
im actually impressed!
if they can get the word out i think it will become pretty darn popular!
i mean... there will be a fair amount of people too stubborn to switch from google but...
if this gets better i think it may overtake google as the #1 search engine!
the review makes it out to be very good also!
Howdy

Offline Joesavage1

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
    • Dev-HQ - Learn C++, Visual Basic, HTML and More!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 09:39:04 AM »
Got my site on bing recently...  but as with google, it isnt coming very high..  ???

Offline mdmedlin

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 07:13:34 AM »
Actually, the funniest thing I saw on this site was an advertisment for Bing in the Ads by Google block LOL  :D
Do or do not, there is no try yes I changed my picture, it is of my daughter.

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 02:22:48 PM »
there will be a fair amount of people too stubborn to switch from google but..

<--- this guy :)

I love google and it has served me plenty well. I took a poke around bing but I like google. Its what im used to and Ive never had any issues with it so why bother switching over?
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

Offline GearMotion

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Two decades+ of Embedded Design
    • CircuitGizmos
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 02:35:13 PM »
there will be a fair amount of people too stubborn to switch from google but..

<--- this guy :)

I love google and it has served me plenty well. I took a poke around bing but I like google. Its what im used to and Ive never had any issues with it so why bother switching over?

Amen. The less M$ knows about my searching, the better. I'm not switching to bing just because it is new. It isn't "stubborn" that prevents me from switching.

Offline Webbot

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 111
    • Webbot stuff
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 02:56:58 PM »
Bing seems pretty fast - but is this at the expense of accuracy? - only time will tell.

Yet another site for the SEO (site engine optimisation)  folk to get their heads around re how to push your stuff up the list, at a price.

Since search engines are just a directory index to existing third party content then they never add a great deal IMHO - just speed and good search results. Trouble is MS have a track record of wanting to make everything 'MS only' - and thats where they go wrong. ie they dumped Java and created C# when the Java community stopped them, thank God, from trying to turn Java into a Windows technology.

They (search engines) only live by charging people to push them up the rankings (pay per click, banner ads etc). You cant compete without them - they are a necessary parasite. Friend or foe.

Hopefully - in the future - search result positions will be removed from the ability to pay the search engine provider and will be just based on content. Gorget SEO which is just a total fudge to fool the search engines and a way to get cash from the site author. ALL search engines today are biased by how much money you want to pay. But then I live in 'cloud cuckoo land'.

Webbot Home: http://webbot.org.uk/
WebbotLib online docs: http://webbot.org.uk/WebbotLibDocs
If your in the neighbourhood: http://www.hovinghamspa.co.uk

paulstreats

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 04:03:21 PM »
I wont be using it.... I dont want microsoft monopolising ANOTHER area of computing

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 04:11:03 PM »
I wont be using it.... I dont want microsoft monopolising ANOTHER area of computing
i agree with you paul.
this is my point, google has been so good to us, and i think it will always be the #1 search engine...
i know it will be in my house!
Howdy

paulstreats

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 04:24:10 PM »
The thing is with smaller independant companies, you get lots of different ideas and innovations. With 1 company monopolising things the only new ideas and innovations are what that company releases which wont be as much or as many as independant. (if you know what i mean)

Offline Webbot

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 111
    • Webbot stuff
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 04:48:57 PM »
Agree with everything said...however, in this case, its not Microsoft who has had the advantage in the past ...its Google. So now MS are the new kid on the block and if they kick Google for being complacent then so much the better. No 'single company' should get too influential.
Webbot Home: http://webbot.org.uk/
WebbotLib online docs: http://webbot.org.uk/WebbotLibDocs
If your in the neighbourhood: http://www.hovinghamspa.co.uk

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 05:14:14 PM »
i believe there should be a variety for the consumer to choose from so the companies are constantly fighting to provide better service thus winning customers. if there is only one company, this fighting in non existent....
thus letting one company become as bad as they want and there being nobody else for the consumer to go to.
Howdy

Offline madchimp

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 05:36:40 AM »
I'm happy with google and don't plan on switching. I would much rather support a innovative company rather than one that simply steals, buys or crushes the ideas of others. I try best i can to be ms free heheh.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 06:46:58 AM »
well, in this situation it seems like Microsoft is the money hungry bully... they shouldn't even be trying...
Howdy

Offline mdmedlin

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 06:54:23 AM »
OK so everyone who hates microsoft, type in microcontroller into Bing and see what pops up..... In case you don't want to because your boycotting it, it comes up with (0) results.... LOL

I had to edit this, I checked it again and all kinds of things poped up.  I am not sure what it is, maybe I spelt microcontroller wrong or something but anywho I am sorry if I had offended any Bing people here
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 09:46:49 AM by mdmedlin »
Do or do not, there is no try yes I changed my picture, it is of my daughter.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 02:59:38 PM »
lol? how is 0 results possible? it should at least come up with some unelated mumbo jumbo shouldn't it?
Howdy

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 07:27:08 PM »
OK so everyone who hates microsoft, type in microcontroller into Bing and see what pops up..... In case you don't want to because your boycotting it, it comes up with (0) results.... LOL

I had to edit this, I checked it again and all kinds of things poped up.  I am not sure what it is, maybe I spelt microcontroller wrong or something but anywho I am sorry if I had offended any Bing people here
I got 1,420,000 results ;D

Just an FYI to everyone, Google *is* the monopoly. I'd like more competition, and I think Bing at least competes on an equal footing.

Also, don't be lazy to swap over. If google doesn't find what you are looking for, don't just give up, bing it :P
(sorry, but someone had to say it)

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 03:41:07 PM »
ewww. "Bing it". That just sounds gross. "Google it", however, now THATS a phrase I can repeat a lot :-P

I do agree however that Google was totally the singlemany (monopoly heh) and that some decent competition was definitely needed. I do also hate MS with a passion though because of the fact that their ONLY goal in existence is to make a **** load of money and piss on as many little guys as they possibly can. Its actually in their mission statement. You just have to read it with a magnifying glass equipped with IR emitters.
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

Offline Weird Fishes

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 05:35:10 PM »
I use many Google services, and the integration there (and to many other things) is one of the main reasons I use it.

Plus, I generally disprove of Microsoft's products. I don't hate them all just because they are MS products, but because they are poorly designed, poorly written, and poorly marketed. IE is awful, Windows is (IMHO) poorly written and designed (and marketed  ;D), Bing seems to be annoying, plus, it integrates with MS services, which I don't use. To each his own, however, and I don't want to or try to impress my opinions onto others. I actually prefer open source whenever possible, and google is far more OS positive than MS. Even apple is far more OS based than MS (Unix core is open source, search Apple.com for open source).

I use an android based phone, as well, but the HTC hardware is kind of slow and poorly built (off topic, but whatever ;)).

Offline SciTech02

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
  • Life's but a green duck with soy sauce. -MegaHAL
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 02:33:48 PM »
Ha ha; everyone here is talking about Google vs Bing and I'm still using Yahoo!.  ;D :P  Where are all the Yahoo! users?  Yahoo! ain't dead yet (I think?)  ???

Anyway, Bing seems to work just fine; equally as well as other web searchers I have used in the past.  I didn't notice anything particulary eye-popping about it though.
Check out the Evolution Robotics, ER1 robot, and ERSP Resource Page: http://www.societyofrobots.com/member_tutorials/node/336

Offline Trumpkin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 08:22:56 PM »
Bing seems to get almost the same results as Google (Google is slightly better).
Robots are awesome!

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2009, 09:34:15 AM »
Hi,

Searching for "microcontroller" yields:
 Clusty 1,400,000 hits
 Bing 1.460.000 hits
 Google 3,340,000 hits
 Altavista 12.800.000 hits
 Kartoo 25.600.000 hits

Altavista (From Digital Corp.) was THE search engine back in the days. Sadly it grew over with adverts, but is now back in a slim version.
The amount of hits is quite irrelevant and not what makes or breaks a search engine. How fast you get to the stuff you want is what defines the strength of a search engine (nobody goes beyond the first couple of hundred links unless they're really bored).
Altavista used to be the strongest on boolean searches.

For when you are not really sure what you are looking for (or just searching for inspiration), the cluster engines (Clusty and Kartoo) are way better than the regular ones, since you can narrow down searches in a visual way natural to most people.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here

data_list