Author Topic: First Robot: Line Follower vs Sharp IR  (Read 7195 times)

Offline MartiryTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
First Robot: Line Follower vs Sharp IR
« on: January 21, 2008, 04:49:20 PM »
I'm building a robot for a class and this will be my first attempt at creating a robot. We've been given guidelines of a budget etc and are in-charge of the entire management/build process from start to completion. With the goal being a working robot within budget.

-It was said that a line following robot would be a good goal to shoot for but we are free to explore other ideas. I know that line followers are popular for beginners to build.

-My plan is to base the build off of the $50 robot and was wondering if I could get suggestions/ideas on whether I should go the line following route or possibly the Sharp IR route.

-Is either more difficult than the other to troubleshoot/get working? I don't want to get in over my head in something too complicated or buggy on my first go around.

-Or maybe there is another type of robot that would be better that I have overlooked.

Thanks alot for the help and the site has been a huge help already

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
Re: First Robot: Line Follower vs Sharp IR
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 05:00:43 PM »
Check out my tutorial
http://www.societyofrobots.com/member_tutorials/node/55

I'm working on finishing it now. It will be done by the end of next week. Its pretty complex, but deals with everything .

Line following is easy for a line following course with no sharp turns but for sharp turns and breaks in the line it gets difficult. Object avoiding is also simple unless you want a scanning IR sensor and if you want to "remember" the course

I have had great experience with both types of robots so I can help you , either way you go .

Also, what programming language do you use , and  what exactly is your budget.
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 11:33:02 AM »
Well my budget is $200 max and of course the less the better.

And I'm writing in C with a ATMEL AVR microcontroller

Yeah I know I dont want a scanning IR to remember the course and was having in mind something along the lines of the Stampy sumo robot with edge detection for a sharp IR application.

Im still looking over your site airman but theres alot of good info and I appreciate the help. Is there a good combo of maybe two of these features that I could combine into one robot or some good additional mods to the basic function of only one thats not too overly complex?

Im going to keep reading on your tutorial and see what i can figure out on possible ideas myself but any suggestions is greatly appreciated
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 11:50:18 AM by Martiry »

Offline robonoob

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 02:45:26 PM »
well if ur budget is 200$ then i would refer to my own post...maybe you could get some usefull information from there http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=2573.0  :) i have made allmost a whole project in theoty there :) from the schematicks to CAD and ofcourse i couldn't do it without this amazing forum...
anyway what i was saying is that if you would make the same robot that is on the CAD i made, then you could make the robot do several different things like wall following, wall avoiding, if you add some photoresistors to it you could make a light seeker robot, if you add some IR emmitters and recievers then a line following...and all that just without changing the programme code :) so it's like manyrobots-in-1 :D(if you know what i mean :D)

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 06:35:34 AM »
Hi,

I'm building a robot for a class and this will be my first attempt at creating a robot.

Then a bit of sensible advice will be: Start with the line follower and if you finish well before the deadline (documentation and all), then look at adding functionality.

There is plenty of projects to go from. Check out a couple of these web sites:
http://www.google.com/search?q=line+follower
When you have found something that falls into your taste, start building and remember to take notes along the process - teachers and sensors usually judge more from the written documentation than from the actual workpiece.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 04:10:15 PM »
I think im going to take Soeren's advice as I had already been leaning toward that conclusion myself after reading everyones information. Which has been a huge help so far so thanks again.

Technically I can do just a pure line following robot but its encouraged that I have some type of add-on/improvement over the base function. This can be anything I just recently found out from software to hardware etc...

Get Your Ad Here

data_list