Author Topic: IR range finder accuracy  (Read 3620 times)

Offline h3roTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
IR range finder accuracy
« on: October 18, 2009, 04:36:10 AM »
Hey,

I was wondering what the accuracy of a IR range finder is? How small changes can it notice? I tried doing a search here as I am sure someone must have asked that question before, but couldnt find anything.

The model I have is the same as this one:
http://www.robotshop.us/Images/big/en/solarbotics-i2c-it-ir-rangefinder.jpg

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: IR range finder accuracy
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 02:39:14 PM »
Hi,

Since it's an IIC version with a one byte transfer on poll you have, the range (10..80 cm) will be divided up in 255 steps, but each step is NOT of the same magnitude - the longer the distance, the lower the resolution.

Accuracy, which isn't the same as resolution, determines the repeatability and will have some inter-device tolerance.

I haven't seen any hard data on that gathered on a scale to be statistically significant, but from your wording (accuracy vs. small change), it is unclear what you really wants to know.

Perhaps you could tell what you need, then perhaps we can find you a solution.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline h3roTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 05:45:27 PM »
What I am looking into doing is making my own very basic 3d scanning equipment. I have no plannes to try and scan very big or complex things, but it would be nice if I could get some ok results in the end. Right now I have a few IR range finders that is not used for anything and I was wondering if they could be used for this, or if they are not accurat enough.

If the IR range finder is not a good match for what I am trying to do, what kind of sensors do I need? I had a look at some of the laser range finders, but as you all probably know they are very expensive.

Regards,

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 07:42:52 PM »
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here

data_list