Author Topic: Auto turret!  (Read 4095 times)

Offline XyverTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Auto turret!
« on: September 10, 2010, 01:01:58 PM »
Ive been thinking that for my next project, I wanted to build some sort of turret.  I starting googling some stuff, and found this http://www.paintballsentry.com/.  Im thinking of buying the software for 150$ and custom building the rest.  Have any of you ever used that site?

heres a video:
Fully Automated Paintball Sentry (video 17 of 18)

Offline Hawaii00000

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
Re: Auto turret!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 02:07:06 PM »
You could also use Roborealm. Its a little cheaper and it can be used for more that just turrets.
http://www.roborealm.com/
"God chose to make the world according to very beautiful mathematics."
-Paul Dirac
Its Hawaii Five-O. Get it?

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 04:41:41 PM »
Hmmmm that actually looks pretty good.  More work of course, to do the programming yourself, but theres always learning to be done!  Its also cheaper, only 90$ instead of 150$. Thanks alot for that link.

Offline Hawaii00000

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 07:27:10 PM »
I'm definitely not a programmer but I got little tracking code working using Roborealm. I'm not sure how the paintball sentry turret works, but if you use Roborealm you'll probably need a microcontroller to control the servos.

"God chose to make the world according to very beautiful mathematics."
-Paul Dirac
Its Hawaii Five-O. Get it?

Offline Metal Slug 2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 10:22:18 PM »
You could also use Roborealm. Its a little cheaper and it can be used for more that just turrets.
http://www.roborealm.com/
:'( RoboRealm used to be free :'( ...i'm still mad at myself for not getting it then  :-\

If you don't want to spend so much money on video processing software, try going smaller scale.  RazorConcepts built a wicked awesome Automated Portal Turret a year or two ago using an airsoft gun, a few servos, a roboduino and IR rangefinder.  You can find his tutorial on it here.  It even talks to you via the adafruit WaveShield...it also has an accelerometer to detect when it is picked up or knocked over...

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 01:02:52 PM »
I was kinda thinking about that, but I was going to use one of those nerf vulcan machine guns.  But, I was looking into it and the range cant ne much more then 5 meters, unless you spend a couple hundered dollars for sensors.  So, I'm looking into a little more advanced.  I just got a new full time job, so got lots of money coming (waiting on the first paycheck).  Im thinking I can do this for <500$. 

Also, next summer my friend has a large property up in northern BC, like upwards of 300 acres.  The plan is to go up there and have an epic full scale paintball war for a week or so.  Me being the builder, not the fighter, I'm planning on what kind of hardware I can bring.  Auto turret?  I think so!

So once I get one prototype working and finished, Im going to make a second.  My goal is to finish this pretty quick, hopefully before november or something, so I'll start a post documenting the process.

Offline Metal Slug 2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »
Man thats going to be amazing!

To add to your arsenal: http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-a-Paintball-Mine/

surround your turret with them, so when someone tries to run up to it and disable it, they get owned :D

Offline krockhouse

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 10:13:18 PM »
Check out my website: http://autonomousturret.wikispaces.com/
I built a turret for my first project, I love it.  (it is not yet autonomous)

I made the project for less than $150, though I already owned the board and got free plastic.

Offline ahack3r

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 07:45:01 PM »
Check out my website: http://autonomousturret.wikispaces.com/
I built a turret for my first project, I love it.  (it is not yet autonomous)

I made the project for less than $150, though I already owned the board and got free plastic.

whats your progress on getting it autonomous?

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 09:29:09 PM »
Bump

I got some of the parts now, I got the gun, and the motors, but the motors dont seem to be working....

Still waiting on the software, decided to get the paintball sentry software, since it comes with a servo controller and it will be easier to program, and I can install it on many computers.

Will update again when I get the rest of the stuff and get started building!

Offline krockhouse

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 05:03:56 PM »
I finished making th robot manual and am very excited about it as it is my first robot.  I do not have the time or desire to make it autonomous at the moment, perhaps in the future when I find time.  My new projects are mobile robots and I just got an i-robot create so I have been messing with that.  I was thinking of attaching the turret to the irobot.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list