Author Topic: Power distribution?  (Read 1358 times)

Offline jwatteTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
Power distribution?
« on: April 14, 2013, 07:03:36 PM »
I'm also working on my rover for Magellan -- which is making more progress now that Onyx is disabled...

I have 3S LiPo power with a screw terminal out from a power switch board. I need to split it three ways. The three draws will each see a maximum of 10A, and an average draw of maybe 2A. My power cabling is all 18 gauge speaker wire. (Hey, it's cheap, and polarization is clearly marked!)

In the real engineering world, it seems like I'd get some solid copper and make some bus bars, and screw my power into those. But, I don't have bus bars, and I don't really have space, time, or budget for that.
My next idea is to parallel four two-pole screw terminals on breadboard, and reinforce the traces with copper wire, and screw my power cables into that. Except I'm all out of screw terminals after making all the power control!

So, what's a good way of splitting up battery power?
Soldering up an octopus and wrapping it in electrical tape? I don't like how that's hard to screw down well.
Using a stainless steel screw, 1/2" ear lugs, and a nut, automotive style? Do I wrap it in tape as well to avoid accidental contact?
"Euro-style" screw sockets ("sugar cubes") with multiple conductors into each screw?
Something else?

Offline jlizotte

• Helpful? 3
Re: Power distribution?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 06:58:42 AM »
Adafruit has Euro styled 4-terminal connector blocks for only $2.50.  Just a thought. Small and cheap.

http://www.adafruit.com/products/677

From the description: "They allow connecting of two sets of four wires together using just a flat-head screwdriver. These are UL rated to carry up to 15 Amps, so they're great for high current LED strips! Can be used with wires from 14AWG to 22 AWG"
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 07:01:09 AM by jlizotte »

Offline jwatteTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 02:51:01 PM »
Yup. The main question is whether jamming more than one wire into each opening is a reliable thing to do.

FWIW, I'm currently doing an octopus using electrician-style wing nuts, which are great for in-wall wiring, but not super robust for moving things.

Offline jlizotte

• Helpful? 3
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 03:02:43 PM »
lol. I'm glad I'm not the only one that "wings it"...pun intended  ::)

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 04:45:44 PM »
If you use multiple wires for each conductor, strip the ends, twist together and solder. This way its a single solid piece of wire under the screw terminal.

Get Your Ad Here