go away spammer

Author Topic: Using an old six wire servo?  (Read 4578 times)

Offline GertlexTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
Using an old six wire servo?
« on: August 08, 2007, 02:40:38 PM »
I've got this old old servo that came with the car that I converted to bluetooth.  It's totally free of any manufacturer's name, just the blue CE sticker (electronics/electrics standards compliance or something)

Is it possible to use such a servo with a servo controller (Mini SSC II) that uses three wire servos?

Orange and black: the motor terminals
Blue soldered to the entwined terminals of the capacitors that also link the two motor terminals
Green, White, Yellow: three terminals of the potentiometer, I think.  White is the center terminal wire... three wires means its being used to monitor the voltage, I think.  Yes, I severed all six wires from the original circuit board.

Quoting a website of a guy that has refurbished a few of these NIKKO Alienators:
The included servo was in an odd L shape and had 6 wires for what seemed to be a manual position sensor. Really low tech.

Does this pretty much mean the servo is useless until, perhaps, when i start dealing with real control boards?

I can post pictures if needed.
I

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Using an old six wire servo?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 05:10:50 PM »
Hi,

Orange and black: the motor terminals
Blue soldered to the entwined terminals of the capacitors that also link the two motor terminals
Green, White, Yellow: three terminals of the potentiometer, I think.  White is the center terminal wire... three wires means its being used to monitor the voltage, I think.
What you have is just two parts of a servo, the motor and the (position) feedback potentiometer. You miss the electronics tying it together.
The blue lead should go to Protective ground/the metal frame of a vehicle.
The potentiometer will go between ground (or a low ref. voltage) and +V (or a higher ref. voltage than the other end). The wiper (the center terminal) will thus give a voltage which is proportional to servo position.

Does this pretty much mean the servo is useless until, perhaps, when i start dealing with real control boards?
Nope, it could be used with an op-amp to give positioning based on an input voltage.

Make them of Claudia Schiffer then ;)
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Using an old six wire servo?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 09:24:54 AM »
Nope, it could be used with an op-amp to give positioning based on an input voltage.
You can also send the voltage from the pot into the ADC of your microcontroller. Then you can program your own servo into some form of feedback system.

I can pretty much picture in my head what it looks like, but Im curious to see how the pot is hooked up to the motor . . .

Make them of Claudia Schiffer then
or Roseanne!

(just kidding)

Get Your Ad Here

data_list