General Misc > Misc

Im giving away $100 (contest)

(1/3) > >>

Admin:
Yeap, Im giving away $100 in a new internet-based robot competition Im creating.

You make a neat robot, the community votes, and I mail the winners a big check.

for more info, check here:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/free_robot_contest.shtml

You no longer have the excuse of not having enough money to make a robot :P

I will make an official announcement soon, but figured I would give a few of you forum readers a head start. :P

If anyone has ideas on how to improve my contest idea, feel free to post.

Sam_Charette:
That's awesome.  One of my problems being brand new to all of this is that it's hard for me to figure out how to put something together.  Couple that with a general lack of good tutorials and schematics out there on the web (that I can find) means seeing any sort of result is difficult for me.

This will help to change that for sure!  Kudos, admin! :)

trigger:
I applaud the goals of the contest. By getting people to build robots and getting more tutorials posted, this will certainly help beginners.

Caveat: no beginner could win this contest (as I see it--please convince me otherwise). In particular, anyone who follows the $50 robot tutorial will stand no chance against any biped, sumobot, or you name it. I don't have a problem with this, but you might consider revising (or deleting) the language "Combined with The $50 Robot Tutorial, your robot could end up being 100% free!" on the contest page, to reduce false expectations.

cheers

Sam_Charette:
I agree with the $50 robot thing, and believe it's already in the rules, though not explicitly stated.  If engineering and looks are important, well anyone using a $50 robot would automatically lose :)

As for the beginners, do you mean that they wouldn't have much of a chance, or wouldn't be allowed?

Nyx:
I think this could be a nice way of attracting people to the site, especially if you repeated the competition at regular dates.

I think what could be even nicer, however, is if you included in the requirements that people must document the construction of their robot and explain the design... That way, people could learn by observing the competition.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version