go away spammer

Author Topic: Help. Suggestion for underwater Depth Measurement  (Read 2522 times)

Offline fordelon1Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Help. Suggestion for underwater Depth Measurement
« on: December 06, 2012, 12:54:31 PM »
Hi,

We have a project which in this case we need to mount a Sensor in our ROV Boat in detecting depth of water at least 2m(Shallow Water Operation),  Our first option is using an ultrasonic Sensor. Unfortunately, we can't use an ultrasonic sensor module(e.g. Ping from parallax, us 100) because we will be submerging the sensor underwater.

In that case, We need to use the transducer found in a portable fish finder and interface it in our Arduino,I need help in hacking a Portable Fish finder and using it as an alternative for a common Ultrasonic sensor.

Question is:
1. Is there any means i can use an Ultrasonic Transducer below water level(e.g. modifying, waterproofing, hacking)?
2. How can i minimize the blind Spot of this transducer, 1ft minimum reading
3. How can I use the Fish Finder's Transducer to determine the depth of water.., We only need the transducer to talk with the arduino and toss all the data gathered to it to us in PC or Phone.

Please I need your help.. Thank You

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Help. Suggestion for underwater Depth Measurement
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 08:05:18 PM »
Hi,

We have a project which in this case we need to mount a Sensor in our ROV Boat in detecting depth of water at least 2m(Shallow Water Operation),  Our first option is using an ultrasonic Sensor. Unfortunately, we can't use an ultrasonic sensor module(e.g. Ping from parallax, us 100) because we will be submerging the sensor underwater.
Please help yourself by searching this site - Admin has written several posts on the subject of using US sensors in less shallow water.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline fordelon1Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Help. Suggestion for underwater Depth Measurement
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 12:06:47 AM »
I have red most of Admin's post, yet those post's info or somewhat for me is incomplete,.. like what is the minimum reading? maximum reading? ready interface to a MCU? delimitations?

Get Your Ad Here

data_list