Author Topic: Help with AndyMark "Add a Motor" Set for the Sake of Wheelchairkind  (Read 1884 times)

Offline disabilitygroup01Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Hi guys, let me start out that 1) I am a college student, 2) my major is biomedical engineering and not electrical or electronics engineering, and 3) no one on my team knows anything electrical or, in this case, robotics. However, we are doing a very important project to help the disability community and are, because of the previous information, more stuck than a shirt on the back of a sweaty man. We need two 12 volt motors that can be controlled with a simple joystick like the ones you see in arcades. We were told by a man that knew electronics and robots to buy the AndyMark "Add a Motor" set as it had all the parts for a simple motor and all we needed to do was add some batteries (currently trying to test full load current), a controller chip (we have a computer engineer helping us with that), and a joystick (she is helping with that as well). Problem is: we got the kits in today (we ordered two since we need two motors), looked at it, and realized that even the simple part of this plan is far over our heads. We have confirmed that the motor does work, and we are using an 8 volt battery (the Talon SR Speed Controller can handle 6 volts at the least) just to test with and will take full load current measurements when we test with a 12 volt battery. The main problem we are having is where and how to wire everything to the Talon SR Speed Controller. Oh, and also the placement of the breakers. Actually, pretty much how to wire that kit up in general... I have tried to look up guides online, but they are more for the robotics specifics kits like the "RobotOpen Arduino Controls Kit, everything for two motors" and we don't want anything near that complicated. Could someone help us? We are running out of time since getting funding took almost a year and now deadlines are coming up. Could you be as specific as possible? This will be like telling someone who speaks another language how to land a plane. Also, if you could show us picture as well or videos or even schematics of the motor system, I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance!  :)

Get Your Ad Here