go away spammer

Author Topic: Sensors  (Read 1916 times)

Offline cjchandlerTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Sensors
« on: October 26, 2014, 01:01:26 PM »
Hi,
I'm curious about your robot projects that move autonomously, how do you make sure they don't run into things and don't get lost?
What kind of sensors are you using, what works well?
What doesn't work and I should avoid?
Thanks! I'd love to hear about your project.

Offline Fr0stAngel

• Helpful? 3
  • [O_O] what??
Re: Sensors
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 02:08:54 AM »
Hello,
The first thing you must have noticed is that you need such sensors that can detect the presence(proximity) of objects from the robot. Such sensors are usually termed as proximity sensors, and are divided into types based on their principle of operation, such as:

1- Tactile sensors (sensors that detect proximity by touch). Examples include tactile switches, flex resistors.

2- Light based (sensors that use reflected light to detect proximity). These sensors transmit light waves which, when bounced back from the obstacle, are converted into electrical signals that show the intensity of reflected light. If the reflected light was more intense, it means the obstacle was near. Examples include visible and Infra-red Light proximity switches. You can learn more by going to the IR sensor tutorial on the site

3- Ultrasonic Sensors (sensors that use sound). Similar principle to light based sensors, but instead of light waves, sound waves are used to find out the distance of the objects. Examples include Ultrasonic sensors (once again, check out the sensor tutorials on the website http://www.societyofrobots.com/sensors.shtml

The above mentioned sensors are some of the most widely used for proximity detection. Of course there are other advanced techniques including vision based scanning, and Laser rangefinders, but i'd recommend you start with some basic sensors to make a small robot work. Test out some basic algorithms of path finding, and then learn about some some advanced things if you are interested. The $50 robot is a good place to start for new guys.
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robot_tutorial.shtml

Have fun learning, and don't be shy to ask about something if you come across any troubles (after trying to look-up and solve the problem yourself first  ;)).
Regards,
Frost
'crazy' is the new hype! =)

Get Your Ad Here