Author Topic: virtual reality headset  (Read 5198 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
virtual reality headset
« on: June 05, 2007, 12:30:13 PM »
So I was cleaning out some old storage boxes in the lab at work and found dozens of neat gizmos . . . but one thing I definitely did not expect to find was a virtual reality headset (valued at "for under $2,750!") . . .

This is the only picture of it that I can find on the website:

Product specs
http://www.genreality.com/ce500s.htm

The website appears to not have been updated since 2000, and I cant find any documentation at all - both which could be a bad sign . . . Im guessing it is a company that went defunct . . .

Does anyone with VR experience think I should attempt to get it to do something? I would have to ask my boss if I could use it for a robot first, but I dont think she would say no . . .

Offline dunk

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
Re: virtual reality headset
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 02:05:30 PM »
http://www.genreality.com/ce500s.htm says:
Compatibility:     SVGA, NTSC or PAL composite Video
Input Signal:    Mono or Field-Sequential Stereo
Input Connectors:    BGA & VGA
so really easy to use.
get 2 wireless video cameras operating on different channels, pop them on the front of your favorate bot, plug the wireless camera receivers into the BGA inputs on your headset and hey presto, stereoscopic robot vision.

now if you wanted to get really clever you could use the VGA inputs connected to 2 PC video cards and start viewing map data in 3d.

dunk.

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 02:35:26 PM »
but i really want to interface the "Electronic compass plus tilt sensors" . . . like if i move my head up, the robot moves the cameras up ;D

the thing has a billion different types of wires coming out of it . . . perhaps i can hook up hyperterminal and see what comes out of the rs232 on it . . .

anyway, i guess i can buy two cheap pin hole wireless cameras to try out . . . my landlord has been begging me to make a spying robot for less than noble reasons . . . maybe i can get him to pitch in :P

any idea on what the ideal camera spacing would be for stereo vision? or should i just experiment?

this could potentially be an easy add-on project after i finish my new experimental robot platform

Offline rgcustodio

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Use "Search" and ye might find answers!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 03:17:36 PM »
How about something like this:

from http://www.pdxbot.org/gallery/daryl1/I_glasses

I think they're more "affordable"
http://www.i-glassesstore.com/

The best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain. - H. W. Longfellow

understanding is the path to enlightenment

Offline dunk

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 04:59:58 PM »
but i really want to interface the "Electronic compass plus tilt sensors" . . . like if i move my head up, the robot moves the cameras up
ooo. i completely missed that part.
even better.
Tracking Data Output:     ASCII into DB-25 RS-232C serial port
sounds easy enough. max232 level converter to a microcontroller's UART.
look up and down and you could have a servo pan the cameras up and down.
turn your head and the bot rotates to face the same way.
now i wonder if you can get it so it fires lasers when you blink....

any idea on what the ideal camera spacing would be for stereo vision? or should i just experiment?
so i believe adjusting the distance between cameras will make the scale seem different. (ever looked through binoculars backwards?)
i'd start by putting them the same distance appart as your own eyes and experiment from there.

i'm sort of excited for you.
seems like such a cool toy.

dunk.

Offline Kohanbash

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 09:09:37 PM »
At CMU we have a setup with about 10 cameras set up so as to have full 360 degree in a portable 6in diameter sphere with all the images merged together. This connects to a VR head set so when you move your head in any direction you see the correct view from the camera.
The cool thing is that you can put the camera above your car and record the data and than later go through the street in 3d using the VR headset.
Robots for Roboticists Blog - http://robotsforroboticists.com/

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 07:25:20 AM »
My boss just said yes :)

Ill build the robot platform first, then buy two wireless pinhole cameras for it off ebay.

Offline maverick monk

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 07:57:39 AM »
nice! this sounds like an awsome project, any thaughts on making it tele-operated,so you can controle it, and still have it avoid obsticals? sounds like maby a wii controler for controles, itle be even cooler if you can get the pan tilt thing working.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list