Author Topic: Torque Questions  (Read 1803 times)

Offline crazyengineerTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Torque Questions
« on: May 23, 2012, 01:19:31 PM »
Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and starting to get into robotics. I have a strong background in electronics and programming, but weak in the mechanical background so please bear with me.

I was wondering if I add more motors to the base of the robot, will it increase the output torque of the motor drive system? E.g. If I have two motors with a torque of 600 oz-cm will adding both motors to the base of the robot increase the output torque to 1200 oz-cm?

Offline tomcharley

• Helpful? 0
Re: Torque Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 02:01:10 PM »
Dear Crazyengineer,

Theoretically, yes, it will increase your power, but it will be difficult to use both motors at the same time.  One way that I could envision would be to hook up a chain drive with one motor at each end and a sprocket that would power your drive shaft in between.  The problem is that, practically speaking, this is a very inefficient system.  The motors lose power by driving the chain, the drive shaft will need to be supported by extra bearings so that the middle sprocket doesn't float (extra friction), and the rotary shafts on the motors will be pulled to the side by the chain, etc.  While you will probably get more power than either motor could output on their own, you'll end up losing a lot of power from each of the motors due to inefficiency.  You'll probably end up with only 1.5x the power, not 2x.

If your problem is price, think about how much more work it will be to rig both motors to pull together, the price of the extra parts, and all the extra room it will take on your robot.  I think getting a more powerful motor would be the way to go.

~Tom

Get Your Ad Here

data_list