go away spammer

Author Topic: bandsaw troubles  (Read 3132 times)

Offline frank26080115Topic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
bandsaw troubles
« on: November 24, 2007, 11:31:13 PM »
So I try and cut a straight and square line on a sheet of plastic, I use my miter gauge set at 0 to make sure the line is perpendicular to the edge, but once i start, and even though the plastic sheet is not moving side to side, the line is crooked, how do I fix this? My blade guard is down as low as it can get and the plastic isn't physically moving side to side...

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
Re: bandsaw troubles
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 12:05:27 AM »
Its possible that the teeth on one side of the bandsaw are missing or shorter (the teeth are angled outwards, right then left then right then left and so on). We had this problem in the woodshop at school. We finally discovered that the teeth on one side were more dull for some reason so they werent cutting like the other side was.

Take a look and see if the same goes for you
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

Offline JonHylands

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
  • Robot Builder/ Software Developer
    • Jon's Place
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 06:25:25 AM »
Realistically, a bandsaw is a bad tool for cutting straight lines. I typically use a table saw to cut plastic. Just a regular carbide wood blade does a great job on Delrin.

- Jon
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 09:27:02 AM by JonHylands »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 08:40:23 AM »
Does your plastic peice vibrate when being cut? Or do you hear/feel a click or small jolt every second or so while cutting? That would be a good sign of dull/damaged/missing blade teeth. Replace the blade and see if it works better.

A scroll saw has a much thinner blade and much smaller teeth, and can give you a much nicer cleaner cut. Do you have one of those?

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer ยท Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 05:23:48 PM »
Cutting plastic should be relatively easy to do relatively accurately with a decent bandsaw by hand... as long as you draw a line to follow.  My cut of quarter inch aluminum the other day with a band saw was nice too (and I proceeded ti stick it in a vice for a mill, with no problem... except I drilled the small hole in the wrong spot...).  Cutting diamondplate by hand is not fun, however.

Doubt I helped much... but give it a try on some scrap and see if you get satisfactory results.  Though indeed, your approach ought to be great.  Like others said, check the teeth.
I

Get Your Ad Here