Software > Software

java programming for microcontroller.

<< < (2/3) > >>

Vendra:
Hi, When i was at high school there was an informatic class about "javarobot" i think they use lego NXT with java. I'm not sure about that but, I'f you're interested, I can get more information. Let me know

genom2:
Hello Vendra, this is exactly what HaikuVM is all about: bringing JAVA skill and leJOS down to AVR based robots. Where leJOS is a JAVA runtime and a toolset for lego NXT which allows Lego Mindstorms robots to be programmed in JAVA. HaikuVM is a toolset to build your AVR based "javarobot".

jwatte:
All those nice libraries in Java use way too much resources to fit on a microcontroller. They are designed for full-size processors.

If you already know C/C++ and need libraries for general programming, and for robots in particular, try looking at some of the available libraries:
C++ Standard Template Library (part of the language)
OpenCV (vision)
BOOST
ROS (Robot OS)

genom2:
For me it's more fun to use JAVA especially when it comes to multithreading or when it comes to code size. Because JAVA bytecode tends to be 4 times shorter than compiled C code for an AVR (@jwatte so it's C which 'use way too much resources'). In other words, if you write a C program which needs 8k flash (which is a complete ATmega8) an equivalent JAVA program only consumes 2k flash (leaving more than enough space for the (Haiku-)VM). I think this small code size comes from the fact that JAVA was originally designed for micro-controllers of the 90th.

@jwatte: BTW this thread is about ATMega-32 micro-controller (and JAVA). I never have heard, that ROS (Robot OS) runs on ATMega-32.

jwatte:

--- Quote --- I never have heard, that ROS (Robot OS) runs on ATMega-32.

--- End quote ---

Well, there are ROS slave devices that run on Atmega. But the actual suggestion was that, if you're going to run on a machine where the "nice Java libraries" are available, then you might as well run with C++, because it, too, has "nice libraries."
The specific quote from the original poster was this:

--- Quote ---java has got a rich classes for such purpose and an ease in mathematical calculations

--- End quote ---

Which I translated to "nice libraries."

Doing computer vision on an Atmega? Not gonna work, no matter what the library and language!

--- Quote ---it's C which 'use way too much resources

--- End quote ---

I was actually talking about the libraries, not the language. If you want a really compact language, try tokenized Forth :-)
If a VM or interpreted language of some sort hits your performance goals, but all means, use it as code compression!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version