Author Topic: need admin or someone help for the axon II robot  (Read 2321 times)

Offline monsieurpoTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
need admin or someone help for the axon II robot
« on: May 18, 2010, 01:50:21 PM »
ok so i saw this video : How to Make a Robot with Axon II MCU
and i havoe some question this is a rc toys but did the code work on all rc toys?
and if i make it with servo i need programation help how can i code like press ``N`` and the servo go to 30 degres?? i reallly need help because THIS IS THE ROBOT THAT I WANT TO BUILD!

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: need admin or someone help for the axon II robot
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 09:56:24 PM »
This toy has two DC motors in it - thats it! I removed all the other electronics. All the cheap RC toys will be just like this.

Wire up a motor driver to the motors, and use a microcontroller (like the Axon) to control the motor driver. I think connected a bluetooth module to link my PC with the microcontroller. This video shows exactly how I wired it. If you buy the same components, just follow the video.

You can find the source code to this robot in the Axon II example code.

If your RC toy had servos, you just plug the servo right into your Axon - no motor driver needed. Just see the example code, its all explained.

For more help, just search this site for the tutorials you need - everything you need to know is here.

Offline monsieurpoTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 05:23:25 PM »
ok... so i just need to know where to buy the motor driver and the bluetooth antenna can you tell me where tou buy (i will buy online) and the battery

thank you very very much

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 09:54:20 PM »
I got the motor driver from dimensionengineering.com and the bluetooth from sparkfun.com.

See the part list for batteries.
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robot_parts_list.shtml

Offline gsmyth

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 04:32:08 AM »
Just to ask a further question here IYDM. As the DC motors have 2 wires:
1 - I take it they must be connected to the Sabertooth 2X5 motor driver - Y/N
2 - Can the two DC 2-pin motors be connected directly onto the AxonII instead?- I'd say no as there's no signal wire involved. Hence the S1 connection (just confirming assumption / understanding)
     http://www.societyofrobots.com/axon2/axon2_datasheet.shtml mentions that regular DC motors can be used on any PWM pin. (so I wondered here)
     2.1 - I assume regular motors to have 3-wires (Y/N)
3 - The above URL does talk about Hardware PWM, but what exactly are PWM pins that regular DC motors can connect to on the AxonII. I'm guessing G5-B7 and H7-L7
4 - As I'm incorporating the photoresistor project from your source code; I was trying the Sabertooth motor drive circuit board way; although motors were not operating. I believe the DIP switch setup to be correct (DPIs 1,3,6 are on - rest are off). I'll read other threads just to check further like ensuring correct resistor values / datalogger from hyper terminal say.

Apologies for noddy question - the first robot is the hardest though.
Regards
Gerry

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 05:58:38 AM »
1 - I take it they must be connected to the Sabertooth 2X5 motor driver - Y/N
Yes.

2 - Can the two DC 2-pin motors be connected directly onto the AxonII instead?- I'd say no as there's no signal wire involved. Hence the S1 connection (just confirming assumption / understanding)
     http://www.societyofrobots.com/axon2/axon2_datasheet.shtml mentions that regular DC motors can be used on any PWM pin. (so I wondered here)
You cannot (should not) drive inductive loads (like motors) directly from uC pins as that might (most likely will) damage the chip. PWM pins are used to drive H-bridge (motor driver) which in turn drives the motor.

2.1 - I assume regular motors to have 3-wires (Y/N)
Regular motors have 2 wires - one for + and one for -.

3 - The above URL does talk about Hardware PWM, but what exactly are PWM pins that regular DC motors can connect to on the AxonII. I'm guessing G5-B7 and H7-L7
PWM pins as mentioned above are used to drive some sort of circuitry (that in turn drives the load) and not the load directly. There can be hardware generated PWM signal or software generated PWM signal, both types come from uC, however in most cases hardware PWM is more reliable and efficient.

4 - As I'm incorporating the photoresistor project from your source code; I was trying the Sabertooth motor drive circuit board way; although motors were not operating. I believe the DIP switch setup to be correct (DPIs 1,3,6 are on - rest are off). I'll read other threads just to check further like ensuring correct resistor values / datalogger from hyper terminal say.
You did not tell us what You did on Your attempt to make Sabertooth work. FIY, Sabertooth can be driven either in Serial Comm mode (by USART), or DAC, or filtered PWM (no matter hardware or software).
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 09:53:25 AM »
2 - Can the two DC 2-pin motors be connected directly onto the AxonII instead?
The I/O on the Axon can supply about 0.02A. A typical DC motor requires about 2.0A. :P
(your motor current may vary)

Servos get their power from the power bus (directly connected to the battery), and the signal line (the I/O) just sends commands.

Get Your Ad Here