go away spammer

Author Topic: is there a easier way to make the 50 dollar robot?  (Read 2461 times)

Offline thomasTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
is there a easier way to make the 50 dollar robot?
« on: October 20, 2010, 02:11:05 PM »
Is there a easier way to make the 50 dollar robot without getting the axon 1 or 2? and without soldering it?  ??? ??? I am not experienced with a soldering iron. I dont want to buy the axon because the axon costs to much. So I would be happy if I could get a schematic with the things I already have. http://www.societyofrobots.com/step_by_step_robot_step1.shtml 8)

Offline DUKELancelot

• Helpful? 0
Re: is there a easier way to make the 50 dollar robot?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 02:30:37 PM »
I am not experienced with a soldering iron.
Soldering is not hard at all ;)  

And if you would have read the tutorial better you would have seen the option of using a breadboard instead of prototyping board. There is no soldering required in using breadboards.    

Also have you heard of arduino?  They are easy to program, and the boards sell for for 20-30 dollars, though it will turn the $50  robot into more like a $70 robot. I am not sure about this ,but I think the demo code will work with only a few modification.
(Arduino boards are sold every were. Like Amazon)

P.S. The Axon may seem expensive now, but in the long run it is definitely worth it.
So you might is well buy one now than later when you need a advance board that can do every thing you need.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 02:36:51 PM by DUKELancelot »
Before you insult someone walk a mile in their shoes. Then your a mile away from them, and have their shoes.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 12:33:24 PM »
I am not experienced with a soldering iron.
Soldering is not hard at all ;)  

And if you would have read the tutorial better you would have seen the option of using a breadboard instead of prototyping board. There is no soldering required in using breadboards.    

Also have you heard of arduino?  They are easy to program, and the boards sell for for 20-30 dollars, though it will turn the $50  robot into more like a $70 robot. I am not sure about this ,but I think the demo code will work with only a few modification.
(Arduino boards are sold every were. Like Amazon)

P.S. The Axon may seem expensive now, but in the long run it is definitely worth it.
So you might is well buy one now than later when you need a advance board that can do every thing you need.
The thing is that my mom thinks the axon is expensive and I have to do the soldering bacause (my dad thinks the axon would be a good idea but my mom would stop him in his tracks) besides the axon is overkill for the 50 dollar robot. I will try the ardunio. thanks!  :) ;) :) 8)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 12:36:37 PM by thomas »

Offline DUKELancelot

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 12:40:08 PM »
My parents are the opposite ;D ;D 8)

Also give a look at the arduino Mega($60) a good priced powerful board. :P though it's not a Axon  :P
Before you insult someone walk a mile in their shoes. Then your a mile away from them, and have their shoes.

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 12:41:50 PM »
I suggest ripping apart some old electronic device and use the PCBs found inside to practice soldering. This way you won't damage any 'expensive' parts.

Offline DUKELancelot

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 12:44:51 PM »
I suggest ripping apart some old electronic device and use the PCBs found inside to practice soldering. This way you won't damage any 'expensive' parts.
Never thought of that. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 12:51:23 PM by DUKELancelot »

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 01:29:31 PM »
what is a pbc? besides great idea!  ;) ;) :) :) ;D

Offline DUKELancelot

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 01:32:37 PM »
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 01:36:17 PM by DUKELancelot »

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 01:34:52 PM »
what do you mean by parents? sarcastic parents, made up parents or you really have parents. I :) am that last one. My age is 9.

Offline DUKELancelot

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 01:44:41 PM »
I mean my father is the more Conservative one, and my mother is more open to ideas. I.E if I want to buy something I will almost always ask my mother.

And WOW starting robotics at age 9 I think that might be the earliest i heard of. :P

Offline knossos

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 14
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 02:06:02 PM »
My daughter and my son are involved in robotics too.  She's almost 11 and he just turned 8.  Granted though I'm helping them with a lot of it.  My daughter had a great idea for a robot using a VCR as a chassis and it was my sons idea that inspired me to take my wheelchair robot that I am working on in the direction I am currently going with it.
"Never regret thy fall,
O Icarus of the fearless flight
For the greatest tragedy of them all
Is never to feel the burning light."

— Oscar Wilde

Offline DUKELancelot

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »
My daughter and my son are involved in robotics too.  She's almost 11 and he just turned 8.  Granted though I'm helping them with a lot of it.  My daughter had a great idea for a robot using a VCR as a chassis and it was my sons idea that inspired me to take my wheelchair robot that I am working on in the direction I am currently going with it.
Well good for you ;)

Offline blackbeard

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 07:21:51 PM »
you will need to learn soldering if you want to do anything more complicated then the $50 robot. it's just a must! it's really easy and it opens a wider range of opportunity. that being said you can start with a breadboard. a breadboard is a board with rows of "plugs" designed to build electronic circuits in a way that feels like you're playing with lego. it's a good way to get started and also helps you experiment with your project. it's also good because if you make a mistake or you want a part that it has you can pop the parts off and use them again. the draw back of course is that it isn't meant to be permanent and stuff might get loose and fall off if it's moved around too rough. you'll definitely be able to build the $50 robot on one though and it'll be a great start.

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=137
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 04:42:39 PM »
OK then cool! after the $50 robot i think this would be a good possible future robot-- 8) thomas 8)--

Get Your Ad Here

data_list