Author Topic: Has anyone worked on interfacing OV7670 Camera Module with Axon?  (Read 5186 times)

Offline ambcorp2000Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Has anyone worked on interfacing OV7670 Camera Module with Axon?
« on: September 29, 2011, 06:58:34 PM »
I saw this camera on eBay and at < $20 is was too tempting to resist and I purchased it even though I saw that it supports i2c and may not support a rs232 connection. I am very keen to know if someone has already worked on this kind of interface so avoid reinventing the wheel.

Details on this camera can be found here:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?pid=explorer&srcid=0B2_rhDNAxM4sMGMxZjdiOGYtNDk4Ni00OWY0LTk0MTctOTUwYTE2ZDFmNDFj&chrome=false&docid=b7c01bb403e76b07cb4b67972187afe4%7Ca7c472fefb2500d00f00b61cbae62ec3&chan=EwAAABYoHBWLCG%2BNeN94TBvYt9t603q%2B7Z0ImnjwtHmEVsTZ&a=v&rel=rar;r2;OV7670_DS_(1_4).pdf

Any help will be appreciated.... Thanks for your time.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Has anyone worked on interfacing OV7670 Camera Module with Axon?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 10:51:36 PM »
Hi,

I saw this camera on eBay and at < $20 is was too tempting to resist and I purchased it even though I saw that it supports i2c and may not support a rs232 connection. I am very keen to know if someone has already worked on this kind of interface so avoid reinventing the wheel.
IIC can be used with any microcontroller in existence.

Details on this camera can be found here:
[...]
No cigar... Always check your links in the preview before posting!
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline billhowl

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 32
  • Your success is in your hands.

Offline ambcorp2000Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 12:01:32 AM »
Freakin fantastic.....

Sorry about the link that I had posted. I am surprised to see that it works no more.....

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 08:51:26 AM »
FYI, the reason that camera is "cheap" is because it doesn't have any image processing capabilities. The Blackfin, although much more costly, has a powerful built in programmable processor to do all the 'heavy lifting'. Image processing/vision is very much processor intensive. Although the Axon can do it, it'll be very slow in comparison, perhaps just one or two frames per second (depending on the algorithm and image size). If your robot is really slow then no problem, but for even line following at normal speeds you'd need more like 5 or 10 fps at least . . .

Offline maoxao

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 11:56:54 AM »
Oh! so that's the gotcha.... one other way would be to send data throu a bluetooth to a PC and get the processed data back and have axon just take care of the switching and control aspects to conserve the MCU time... but if the grind can be saved with a few more $$$ I am all for that....

Thanks Admin.... you speak from pure experience (and expertise too)!!

data_list