go away spammer

Author Topic: Robot Motor Setup Help  (Read 2100 times)

Offline cardsfan527Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Robot Motor Setup Help
« on: May 11, 2012, 06:14:33 PM »
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. I'm mostly a software guy, but I'm trying some hardware the last few months. Anyway, my newest project is a robot arm that catches a ping pong ball. I have the computer vision done for tracking the ball and I can pass this info to the arduino, but I'm having a bit of trouble deciding how to construct the arm. My idea is an arm, maybe two feet long or so, that rotates 180 degrees from one horizontal direction to the other. On that arm I plan to have a cup to catch the ball that is attached to a belt to move up and down the arm. This would allow the cup to move through the polar coordinates. My question is what motors should I use to rotate the arm and to move the drive the belt?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Offline aaa3a

• Helpful? 1
    • Skype - CharlesgrareOB
Re: Robot Motor Setup Help
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 07:05:01 PM »
servo motor will do the job as the load not heavy for ping pong ball

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 10:54:52 PM »
Ok thanks for the help. Would a large servo be able to handle rotating the 2 foot aluminum arm (thin rod), or is that too heavy? Also, is there any sort of attachment I can get for the servo to make it drive a belt, or will I have to make something myself? I tried looking but was unable to really find anything.

Thanks again.

Offline aaa3a

• Helpful? 1
    • Skype - CharlesgrareOB
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 07:03:28 AM »
u can use Metal Gear High Torque Servo Motor (12 kg.cm) this will handle your arm . about the attachment it comes with some and if that doesn't suite you u can build your own pulley or something  for the belt

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 07:38:44 AM »
Great! Thanks for the help aaa3a

Get Your Ad Here