General Misc > Misc

Experts advice on degree choice for robotics

<< < (2/2)

Th232:

--- Quote from: jkerns on November 04, 2012, 06:39:21 PM ---A fourth option is robotics engineering - there are some schools starting to offer undergraduate degrees that combine the mechanical / electrical / computer science.

--- End quote ---

This may also be called mechatronics engineering depending on where you're from, and can be a good option.

Be aware though, that different degrees can be geared more in one direction than another.  My mechatronics degree was rather heavily weighted towards control and light on the electronics side, all the power electronics knowledge I have has been self-taught.

jkerns:

--- Quote from: Th232 on November 05, 2012, 05:16:12 AM ---
--- Quote from: jkerns on November 04, 2012, 06:39:21 PM ---A fourth option is robotics engineering - there are some schools starting to offer undergraduate degrees that combine the mechanical / electrical / computer science.

--- End quote ---

This may also be called mechatronics engineering depending on where you're from, and can be a good option.

Be aware though, that different degrees can be geared more in one direction than another.  My mechatronics degree was rather heavily weighted towards control and light on the electronics side, all the power electronics knowledge I have has been self-taught.

--- End quote ---

That's a perennial problem - there are only so many credit hours, and so many things to learn.

I think you will find that over the years, a lot of what you do will be based on what you have learned after graduation. And, no matter what kind of degree you start with, your skills and interests can drive your career in ways that you never thought of when you were an undergraduate.

Admin:
See: http://www.societyofrobots.com/robot_faq.shtml#best_robot_college

My degree is in mechanical engineering, but I took as many classes I could in programming, electronics, robotics, and even psychology (for artificial intelligence).

Lepe:
Thanks all for the advice, much appreciated. Still no definitive answer in what major is most requested in the robotics industry but that only means that there is no definitive answer. All 3 majors( cs, ee, me) are essential for robotics and im going to stick to ME and take as many possible class for controls, software and electronics.

excited to start my robotics career, thanks guys

waltr:
Sounds like a plan.
Good luck and have fun.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version