go away spammer

Author Topic: new to SOR, looking for motor and motor controller info.  (Read 2625 times)

Offline HydrogenTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
new to SOR, looking for motor and motor controller info.
« on: June 13, 2009, 11:52:21 PM »
Well im new to SOR, interested in robotics, and im about to start mech eng.

Ive have played with prebuilt RC stuff before,  i can solder anything, given a good schematic, i can weld, but when it comes to figuring the electrical limits and value, im pretty much lost.  

So to get into the field, i want to make a small/sold prototyping platform (anywhere from say 5-35 lbs) that i will RC first, so i can try out some drive trains, wheel and tread systems, so i can then get a feel for how things need to move when i start programming. Id like to start with rc, and then once i start programming, id like to be able to mount one of my netbooks ( max of 5lbs) using usb motor controllers or servo controllers ? i havnt thought that far ahead yet, as id like to get a solid mechanical platform to start with.

I do need some help picking out some good motors and controllers to start with. Id like something speedy, with some power too. ( assume end weight from 5-35 lbs, assume any power level, 2 or 4 wheel drive, or tread, which i assume will need more powerful motors)

Thanks, Hydrogen
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 12:44:07 AM by Hydrogen »

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
Re: new to SOR, looking for motor and motor controller info.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 03:12:14 AM »
well, can you define "fast" this can mean a lot of things to us ;D
to me, RC is useless... autonomous is the way to go...
you can check out wheelchair motors as they are EXTREMELY strong... ie. you can ride your robot around...
as for a motor controller check out the sabertooth controllers, ive heard only good things about them.
http://www.dimensionengineering.com/Sabertooth2X25.htm
what sort of terrain do you want the platform to go over? carpet or jungle? ;D

just a random question but why are you choosing to start off in rc? do you think it is easier than robotics?
take as look at: http://www.societyofrobots.com/step_by_step_robot.shtml mmmkay?
sorry if my robotics judgement is a bit off, i just got back from seeing terminator 4... its awesome, the robots are so cool!
Howdy

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 06:04:57 AM »
I think it is a good idea to start foff with an r/c platform, if you know how to. Do you have an rc interface to use yet. If so what type is it

Offline HydrogenTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 10:22:40 AM »
Well i have a 12ch 2.4ghz futaba controller, from my rc helicopter.

and i want to start with RC so i can build a stable chassis and drive train, than i can use it as a base for a robot then add sensors and w/e when i start programming.

terrain from say pavement to light off road obsticles

and smash, trust me, it will end up autonomous :)

Offline RoboChan

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 11:50:15 AM »
this is kinda what i want to do. a big 125lbs sumo bot that i can also change to rc and ride on it ;D. but thats in time right now i just got some small stuff to play with and learn ::).

Get Your Ad Here