Author Topic: help getting started  (Read 1877 times)

Offline sliderguyTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
help getting started
« on: June 11, 2010, 04:38:18 PM »
Hi guys i was really excited building my first robot until i encountered a problem. To me i thought building a robot would mean couple of servos (futaba s3001), transmitter (hitec laser 6) and a receiver (futaba). The rest you construct and thats it.  I was wrong.

My robot was going to be run on tank treads. The idea was to go forward, reverse but then how to turn left and right. Thats when everything stopped. I thought how can i miss that one. Obviously i want the robot to turn left and right.

Iv been researching on the internet and found out that a microcontroller does the trick if you want to send commands to the servos. (quote me if im wrong)

My idea to start with was to have 2 servos each running dependant on the  track treads. Both servos are attached on a 'Y' CABLE. That would then operate the treads to move forward and backwards.

To turn left and right i would want one servo to move forward and the other move backwards if im right. Is there a microcontroller where i can programme the servos.?
Which microcontroller do i need? 

Bare in mind i am a total beginner and im doing much research as possible but kinda finding it hard to grasp what i need to get.

My robot is simple but i want to run on treads. A couple of moving arms and led lights for eyes.

Any help on the subject. Thank you.

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
Re: help getting started
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 05:11:44 PM »
You can get your bot to turn using the two servos and the RC Tx and RX. Just plug each servo into a different receiver channel. Then to go forward you push the stick into a corner, reverse is the opposite corner and to turn eithe move the stick left-right only or forward-back only.
Or plug the servos into two RX channels that on on two different sticks on the TX.

Play around with this until you understand.

To have the Bot autonomous does require a processor (microcontroller). There are a number of goods ones for hobbyist and robots so read through as many thread here. It is a common question that gets discussed often.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 05:41:45 PM »
How do you speed up a servo.? Iv hacked the servo futaba s3001 but seems to be slow. The only thing i did to hack the servo was to take the lug out and i get continous rotation. Am i missing something out or do i need to get a different servo with speed.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 05:43:26 PM »
Thanks waltr i got more understanding on the transmitter. Now i got one servos moving one direction and the other moving the opposite.

Get Your Ad Here