Author Topic: Problem with the more expensive programmer. Only six pins.  (Read 4449 times)

Offline garriwilsonTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
Problem with the more expensive programmer. Only six pins.
« on: July 20, 2007, 12:18:41 PM »
I got the more expensive programmer and it only has 6 pins. I read some post it says it comes with two different cables but mine only had one. And also how do you open the case of the programmer? >:(

Offline hazzer123

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
Re: Problem with the more expensive programmer. Only six pins.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 12:26:29 PM »
What is "the more expensive programmer"? People HAVE to start explaining what they mean.
Imperial College Robotics Society
www.icrobotics.co.uk

Offline Robotboy86

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 02:48:22 PM »
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 02:50:09 PM by Robotboy86 »

Offline KambeiX

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 12:48:09 AM »
I think it's "the most expensive" listed in the $50 robot

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 06:04:16 AM »
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=1045.0

Sorry, I designed it using the older version of the more expensive programmer . . . :-\

I need to add this to the tutorial . . . Ill do that now.

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 09:39:40 PM »
Admin, how long did it take you to make the original tutorial? Perhaps its time to remake it completely? Thats just my thought...

Honestly from a complete noobs perspective, although the pictures are taken at the right steps, they can be pretty confusing. I think it would be better if you took a picture vertically perpendicular to the board. I think that would make it much easier to follow.... just my opinion..... That makes it easier to line things up when you have a reference such as that to go by... please consider it at least?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 09:40:26 PM by HDL_CinC_Dragon »
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 11:37:26 AM »
Admin, how long did it take you to make the original tutorial? Perhaps its time to remake it completely? Thats just my thought...
I didnt really count the hours . . . about 80 hours I think?

The issue is that everyone wants to build a robot their way, not my way. That normally isnt a problem, and I totally understand it, except this requires me to write the tutorial to accomodate the many different ways (such as the multiple battery suggestions).

The other issue is that technology will always change, and its just hard for me to keep up. I really dont want to buy yet another programmer (that I dont even need) just to make a few soldering pictures. Just follow the pinout and you will be fine (its a skill you need to make robots, anyway). Plus Im lazy . . . :P

although the pictures are taken at the right steps, they can be pretty confusing. I think it would be better if you took a picture vertically perpendicular to the board. I think that would make it much easier to follow.... just my opinion.....
I agree with you . . . not sure why I did it angled now that I think about it . . . too late :-\
Ill do them vertically on any future tutorials I make.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 03:03:43 PM »
Honestly from a complete noobs perspective, although the pictures are taken at the right steps, they can be pretty confusing. I think it would be better if you took a picture vertically perpendicular to the board. I think that would make it much easier to follow.... just my opinion..... That makes it easier to line things up when you have a reference such as that to go by... please consider it at least?

I completely agree with that statement. I've been thinking of how to put it and that's exactly it. I needed to know how low the micro has to go in. Thanks Dragon.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 03:34:24 PM »
I needed to know how low the micro has to go in.
Well you can still use the numbers on the board sides and count holes . . . but HDL_CinC_Dragon's idea would make that easier . . .

Offline Brandon121233

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • "Genius is %1 inspiration and %99 perspiration"
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 07:18:43 PM »
I personally think that starting out building a robot with NO electronics skills is a bad idea in general for a beginner. Sure it is a good way to learn, but it is a HUGE jump, and you are most likely missing the building blocks to electronics. I started out at about age 7 with one of those 1001 electron project boards from Radio Shack, building tons of circuits and learning HOW and WHY they work. Its a great way to get a solid footing in electronics and reading circuit diagrams. Yes everyone wants to be able to build a robot with no prior knowledge, but sooner or later (preferably sooner) you WILL have to learn a lot about circuitry.
Thats a rant on my part- Brandon
Hell, there are no rules here—we're
   trying to accomplish something.

—Thomas Edison

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 09:14:51 PM »
THis project has taught me a lot about circuits, voltage regulators, programming, resistors, capacitors, etc. But it did kinda go over the price limit. lol ;D

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 11:03:24 PM »
I know all the basics and stuff. Ive taken classes on it and such. Im not a noob to electronics, just robotics.

and your welcome garriwilson ;)
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

Get Your Ad Here

data_list