go away spammer

Author Topic: $50 robot programmer  (Read 2378 times)

Offline dmny500Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
$50 robot programmer
« on: November 29, 2010, 08:18:30 PM »
So I'm pretty new to this and I'm making my first robot. I'm buying the parts and I was wondering what the differences were with the different programmers on the list. The three are:

AVR STK Serial Port
Dongle Programmer

AVR ISP2 Programmer

Pocket AVR Programmer

Thanks in advance!

Offline VegaObscura

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 6
Re: $50 robot programmer
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 08:59:48 PM »
AVR ISP2 Programmer - This is the best of the programmers.  It is also the most expensive.  Supported by atmel, this programmer can program any AVR chip.  Connects to a USB port on your computer.

AVR STK Serial Port
Dongle Programmer - This is the cheapest.  Its less than half the price of the ISP2.  The variety of microcontrollers it can program is limited.  You can find a list of chips supported here.  Supports the atmega8, the chip used in the $50 robot tutorial.  If you're not certain that building robots is right for you, this is the programmer to go with.  Connects to a serial port on your computer (so make sure you have one before getting this).

Pocket AVR Programmer - I have no experience with this programmer and haven't heard much about it.

Offline dmny500Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: $50 robot programmer
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 12:25:52 PM »
Thanks a lot, that was very helpful. I think I'll buy the better one cause I want to buy things that I can use with future projects. I've always been interested in robots but finding this helpful site is what got me going. There should be many more questions to come as I'm a novice.

Get Your Ad Here