Author Topic: Home  (Read 2537 times)

Offline R.U.Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Home
« on: July 23, 2007, 12:54:40 PM »
I'm new so bear with me. This may be a stupid question after all.
I'm working with industrial robots (a 3 axis for example) and trying to understand what situations call for homing. Currently they are programmed to run a homing sequence -which goes to several points - after a machine fault reset. But I suspect that this is unnecessary because the robots don't "lose" the points as long they don't lose power. Am I wrong ? The homing sequence isn't very long (< 1 minute) but why keep it if it's unnecessary, right ?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Home
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 04:36:31 PM »
Im not entirely sure what you are talking about, but Im guessing you have this machine that can position something within three axes (plural for axis).

Do do this, the machine would be using digital encoders. On rare chances a serious jolt to the machine can cause the encoder to jump. Under normal situations that reset (homing) isnt required - just an automatic safety check.

It is of course required when turning off the machine, because it doesnt count encoder movement when it is off.

Offline R.U.Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Home
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 06:54:23 AM »
The robot I was referring to is a pick-and-place type like this one below.

I think I understand it now from your answer. the homing is just to zero out all 3 axes (proud of my spelling) as reference points.
Thanks !

Get Your Ad Here

data_list