go away spammer

Author Topic: Axon Servo Controller ???  (Read 4802 times)

Offline WizzardTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Axon Servo Controller ???
« on: February 13, 2009, 05:19:07 PM »
Anyone Know where I can find this.  :'(

"Axon Servo Controller (coming soon!)
 Axon Servo Controller (August ?, 2008)
 Since the Axon can already support 29+ servos, why not?
 The software will be designed to take serial commands by both USB and UART directly for control of each servo.
 RoboRealm support will be included with this program."

I have been looking for it for three days now.
It is what convinced me to purchase the Axon, Hoping that I could start with this and then later when I have time to understand the programming side I can get more independent capabilities from having the Axon handle more. I am thinking of setting up a 802.11 enabled pico atx running XP and wanted to use RDC to control my chassis and other on board systems. and experiment with Roborealms Image processing capabilities with a couple on board usb cameras.

I am going feel a bit the fool when someone posts a simple link to it.

Thank for the assist
Wizzard

Offline Jdog

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
Re: Axon Servo Controller ???
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 05:32:21 PM »
I don't think he made it.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 06:44:44 PM »
I don't think he made it.

I really Hope,      Hope,     Hope,      Hope,     Hope,      Hope,     Hope,      Hope,     Hope,      Hope you are wrong!!!

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 08:21:33 PM »
I unfortunately never made it.

I started programming it, ran into some strange compiler errors, and just never finished.

That being said, can you tell me more about your project? I'll work with you to code up what you need.

That being said, the guy over at RoboRealm is working on code for the Axon. I'll send him an email now. Basically he is writing a servo controller plus a few extra features.

Offline yerbie

• Helpful? 3
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 10:04:32 PM »
That being said, the guy over at RoboRealm is working on code for the Axon. I'll send him an email now. Basically he is writing a servo controller plus a few extra features.

Do you know what the API is for this controller?  I'm interested in what the features would be and how it would be used.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 10:08:29 PM »
STeven sent me this email about RoboRealm + Axon combination:
We'll place that on top priority next week and target Wed for release. Naturally I'd not mention anything as this assumes we don't hit any obstacles. :-)

Regardless, I'll send you an email on Wed updating our status.

He'll release the API sometime after that . . . you upload the special .hex file, send the Axon some command by USB, and it'll reply back with either ADC data or do something like control servos.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 10:44:38 PM »
;D

I am glad it is in the works.

I Work at a very remote Arctic facility and every other 2 weeks I am away from home for 2 weeks. I purchased a Rovio as a way to not be totally away. It is a very good idea, and for what you pay for it, I guess it is ok.

I am going to try to build a better TelePresence and also be able to do a few things around the house. (My Wife wants me to be able to clean the bathroom) even though I am not going to be there.  My basic idea was to setup a heavy first rate Chassis that I could expand in capabilities and intelligence as I learn more about what I would like it to be able to do and also how I would do it. I am in the process of gathering parts for a simple sturdy tracked base and putting high end components into it seems to be the right way to start.

I have a Dimension Engineering Sabertooth Dual 25A 6V-24V Regenerative Motor Driver on order along with 2 Banebots 12V 263RPM 2527oz-in Planetary Gearmotors w/RS-540 Motors. I also have on order a few sets of tracks and the assorted sprockets, idle wheels, and other bits and parts I am going to use for the drive system based on the Lynxmotion 2" WideTrack. In the Track assemblies I have laid out enough space for about 10AH at 12vdc and 5AH at 6vdc using a few nicad battery sets I have from where I work. they are outdated so no longer suitable for where I work and free is a good price..

The chassis will be a combination of aluminum, HDPE, and acrylic 14"wide X 21"long and just over 8" at the tallest and initialy have a Axion, a usb camera, a Via pico atx system running XP using 802.11 so I can control it from my remote work location in the Arctic via the internet and a remote desktop client.

My first goal is going to be basic control and the ability to maneuver it to a charging station I am building to plug into. eventually I hope to be able to get up and down stairs, mount a multi axis manipulator and give it enough smarts and awareness of its suroundings that it will be able to bark at the doorbell and keep itself charged.

Another reason I went with the Axon is that it looked to me like i could have it monitor the XP session via a serial link and if it hangs reboot the computer. (we all know how stable the windows OS is so this will probably never needed) ::)

Suggestions and guidance from those who have already tried this sort of thing will always be welcome.

Thx Wizzard

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 11:01:53 PM »
Ok so it appears you don't actually want a servo controller, but more of a remotely controlled teleoperated device. The servo controller feature is only for people who want a PC controlled robot and don't want to write a single line of code.

Anyway, here is what you do. Go here:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/axon/axon_function_list.shtml#uart

scroll down until you see this code:
Code: [Select]
char temp;
temp=uart1GetByte();//returns -1 if no data present
if (temp == r)//if data received
do_stuff();

You then simply use HyperTerminal using your remote desktop client, type in a letter, and your code will execute some preprogrammed command on your robot.

For example, 'r' could represent 'turn right', 's' for stop, and 'f' to activate a sequence of motions to flush the toilet.

You can find commands to use the Sabertooth here:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/axon/axon_function_list.shtml#misc

I'm willing to bet you'll only need to write ~20 lines of code in control.c to get it fully up and running. Let us know if you have further questions!

FYI, at some point this year a GUI will be written to fully replace HyperTerminal for robot teleoperation.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 05:13:29 PM »
Thanks and now I need a few more pointers I used the basic Photovore Code that is in the axon getting started tutorial and commented out the Photovore line in Control.c as suggested. I am totally a neophyte as far as programming is concerned so I wanted to try something very minor to start, such as being able to send a "o" to the Axon in Hyper terminal and have it turn on the led for a small time and then turn it off.

this is what I changed and the error I get from trying to do a rebuild all.

//Add your code here

unsigned int sensor_left=128;
unsigned int sensor_right=128;
int auto_calib_L=0;
int auto_calib_R=0;

void update_sensors(void);
void photovore(void);
void test_code(void);

//enter your code in control here
//photovore is just a default sample program and can be deleted
void control(void)
   {
   //photovore();//run photovore algorithm, or comment out for your own code
// I commented out the above line

char temp;
   temp=uart1GetByte();//returns -1 if no data present
   if (temp == o)//if data received
      {
      LED_on();
      delay_cycles(10000);
      LED_off();
      }

// and added these lines above

//axon_DAQ();//activate the DAQ software (data acquisition)
   }

void update_sensors(void)
   {
   sensor_right=a2dConvert8bit(2)+auto_calib_R;
   sensor_left=a2dConvert8bit(14)+auto_calib_L;//right sensor is off, so I fudged it . . . mmmmm fudge!
   }

void photovore(void)

Then I receive the following errors when doing a rebuild all.

control.c:35: error: 'o' undeclared (first use in this function)
control.c:35: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
control.c:35: error: for each function it appears in.)
make: *** [Axon.o] Error 1
Build failed with 3 errors and 0 warnings...

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 05:17:14 PM »
instead of temp == o

do temp = 'o'

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 06:07:37 PM »
That get's rid of the errors during the build
instead of temp == o

do temp = 'o'
unfortunately after load the axon with it it imediatly turns on the led without any command from hyper term and it never turns off.

I am sure I'm doing something wrong it seems simple enough to follow the instructions admin gave me.

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 06:13:09 PM »
did you turn off the led at the beginning of the code?

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 06:16:06 PM »
LOL

Probably not. I thought it was turned off by default. see what i get for thinking ???

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 01:39:52 PM »
Thank you everyone for your help here.

I found a very good example of the code I needed to get started in the following newer thread

http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=6927.msg52397#msg52397

Thanks again.
Wizzard

Get Your Ad Here

data_list