go away spammer

Author Topic: tank style robot with Spektrum DX5e controller question  (Read 3488 times)

Offline DJSprocketTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
tank style robot with Spektrum DX5e controller question
« on: December 23, 2010, 05:31:40 AM »
Hello i purchased a Spektrum DX5e transmitter / receiver combo for my first and all subsequent robot builds and RC stuff i am going to work on. The controller has an elevon mixer on it that mixes on the right hand stick. I was wondering if using this on a dual motor drive tank steer type robot with 4 wheels would be sufficient or if i would have to get a channel mixer to properly do what i need to in order to use tank steer. stick up for forward up left for left turn son on and so forth. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am planning on using 2 drill motors for the drives and i was also wondering what you would reccomend for a receiver battery pack for extended operation. I will use the cordless drill battery packs for motor power.

Offline rbtying

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 31
Re: tank style robot with Spektrum DX5e controller question
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 12:48:35 AM »
Use the same battery pack with a voltage regulator for power to the receiver.  Use a microcontroller to receive and mix the RC commands - its much more extensible, and uC's are only a few dollars ( less than a dedicated mixer ).  You can program it to mix or to run autonomously, and if you're planning on using RC ESCs to control the motors, it should be pretty simple to code.  If you're building H-Bridges, do a little bit of research and get us some details, since we don't really have any.

Preferably, use commas (',') on lists - it took a few moments of staring to figure out what you were saying, and avoid run-on sentences without line breaks.  For ex:

I am planning on using 2 drill motors for the drives and i was also wondering what you would reccomend for a receiver battery pack for extended operation.

can become this

I am planning on using two drill motors to drive the wheels, powered by cordless drill battery packs.  I was also wondering what you would recommend for a receiver battery pack, to allow for extended operation.  Any advice will be appreciated.

Or something like that.  I usually try to avoid being a grammar nazi, but communicating technical information clearly is key to us helping you with your project.

Offline DJSprocketTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
Re: tank style robot with Spektrum DX5e controller question
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 03:11:48 AM »
I got a speed controller now that works excellently with my DX5e.

Its the novak M2 DIG, the proportional dig mode allows me to controll each individual motors relative RPM. I set it up so that my right stick up/down is throttle, and left/right changes the proportional dig on either motor. Best part is no need for a mixer. It came with 2 55T Novak terraclaw motors, and i was wondering if for a lighter robot (probably made of lego and glue) i can just directly attach the wheels to the spindles. Or whats a very inexpensive way to gear down the motors and attach the wheels to the gearbox. would a chain drive system be a way to go?

could probably use about a 20 tooth pinion on the motor and a 40-160 tooth sprocket for the wheel drives depending on the size of wheels i get..

does anyone know of any stores in the edmonton alberta area where i could get such pinion chain and sprocket? Also does anyone know of any robotics clubs in edmonton?

thanks in advance
DJSprocket

Get Your Ad Here