General Misc > Misc

What you guys do for work?

(1/2) > >>

jonwhunt:
Hey I was just curious about what you guys do for work and if your job was related to your hobby?  I'm 26 years old and tired of working crappy retail management jobs but I don't know what kind of money is out there for the different fields.  I really wanted to go to college for Biomedical Engineering and work with robotic limbs for amputees and artificial sight and basically anything geared towards combining robotics with the human body.  However the only college near me that offers a four year degree in Biomed only accepts 50 people per year into the program.  After finding that out I thought I would look at getting a degree in electronics so atleast that way I might still be able to work along side the Biomed people in the industry.  Are there many jobs anymore for people with a 2 or 4 year degree in electronics... I mean it seems like most electronics are "throw away" electronics now, everything cost as much to fix as it does to repair.  Just curious if there was any real money left in robotics, unless you wanted to work in an industry/factory making sure the robotic arms worked well enough to put other people out of business lol.

Soeren:
Hi,

--- Quote from: jonwhunt on June 08, 2007, 12:59:17 PM ---I really wanted to [...] work with robotic limbs for amputees and artificial sight [...]
--- End quote ---
Well, I work with what you probably would call artificial hearing (direct current injection into the hearing nerves), but I don't really consider this robotics - bionics is the correct term here, since it's only the sensor/detector that's non-biological, while a good oldfashioned human brain (they don't make them like they used to, however ;)) does all the processing.

pokey:
As little as possible.

megaman935:
I press the little buttons that say: 1234567890qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm.
I also press the buttons that make box light up and brings spongebob to life :P

Mega

Sain:

--- Quote from: jonwhunt on June 08, 2007, 12:59:17 PM ---Hey I was just curious about what you guys do for work and if your job was related to your hobby?  I'm 26 years old and tired of working crappy retail management jobs but I don't know what kind of money is out there for the different fields.  I really wanted to go to college for Biomedical Engineering and work with robotic limbs for amputees and artificial sight and basically anything geared towards combining robotics with the human body.  However the only college near me that offers a four year degree in Biomed only accepts 50 people per year into the program.  After finding that out I thought I would look at getting a degree in electronics so atleast that way I might still be able to work along side the Biomed people in the industry.  Are there many jobs anymore for people with a 2 or 4 year degree in electronics... I mean it seems like most electronics are "throw away" electronics now, everything cost as much to fix as it does to repair.  Just curious if there was any real money left in robotics, unless you wanted to work in an industry/factory making sure the robotic arms worked well enough to put other people out of business lol.

--- End quote ---

This may be a good read. http://www.opcareers.org/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version