Author Topic: Programable Automated Video Camera (Help!)  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Walter_OdingtonTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Programable Automated Video Camera (Help!)
« on: July 07, 2015, 08:34:27 PM »
Hi, I need to control some aspects of video camera operation with programable automated motors, and would appreciate any advice!

There are a number of things I want to control:
- movement of camera mounted on low friction slider (1 meter)
- movement of camera mounted on mini-dolly (3 meter)
- lens focus ring
- lens zoom ring (has to overcome barrel extending and rotating)
- lens aperture ring
- tripod head rotation
- tripod pan / tilt
- full robotic arm (in my dreams)

Key attributes are:
- programable
- automated
- smooth
- accurate
- repeatable

I recognise the above is just the brief and non technical, I have researched and developed the ideas further, but I could do with some input on which to tackle first (i.e the easiest). Control will be software through USB because I've been using that approach on and off for 15 years. Hardware engineering is up in the air!

Any general thoughts?!?

Offline mklrobo

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • From Dream to Design at the speed of Imagination!
Re: Programable Automated Video Camera (Help!)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 05:43:48 AM »
 ;D Hello!
I would offer an opinion, where permissible.   ;)
With the direction you are going, I would think the Axon II would be
perfect. I, however, have yet to make a program work with the Axon.
I have figured out the Hex file, but, now am working on the actual programming.
If I were to imagine a function you are trying to do, I would say you are using this
for astronomy, and need quite a bit of accuracy.  ::)  With a USB control, it would be
nice to have the control software running while you are using the telescope. it would also
be nice to have coordinates and parameters saved, in order to repeat them quickly.
for a shot term answer, ardinuo may help. Parallax products at Parallax.com may have
what you need, at least to start.(Parallax has software generated by the people in the forum)
If astronomy is your goal, they do sell items like this already, in a package.($$!,  :o )
In a commercial application, I would just go ahead an use a small PLC (Programmable Logic Controller)
to get things rolling.(Allen Bradley) You may need a PLC with analog feedback, which may complicate
things. The USB application to the PLC is dependent on the brand.(not many have USB control, though,
I think.  :P ) Good Luck!!   ;) :) :D ;D

Get Your Ad Here

data_list