Author Topic: Self Pathing AR.Drone  (Read 1692 times)

Offline PostholesTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Self Pathing AR.Drone
« on: April 08, 2012, 12:41:03 AM »
For my senior project I have been kicking around the idea of buying a Parrot AR.Drone from Amazon and trying to install a sonar, or IR sensor onto it and use the extra sensor to have it set a path to avoid objects while enroute to destination.

As a new comer to the hardware side (this is for a Software Engineering degree) I was hoping for some feedback.

At the moment I have been thinking of using an arduino board that could connect to my andriod phone and write the software that will interpret the sensor data sent via bluetooth, which then will control the aircraft through the wifi connection and the android software. I would appreciate some feedback, links to tutorials, any other information that may help to get this idea moving in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!!

Postholes

Offline tomcharley

• Helpful? 0
Re: Self Pathing AR.Drone
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 02:49:25 PM »
Dear Postholes,

The Arduino boards have worked really well in my experience.  They have some small boards that would do well in air vehicles, and a lot of people know how to code for them.  I have also used Sharp sensors as range finders.  They have a simple analog voltage output that is easy to work with, and they are pretty inexpensive.  You just have to find one that works for an appropriate range of distances.  I don't know anything about wireless or Bluetooth stuff.  For weight purposes you'll probably want as much stuff off-board as possible.

Sounds like a fun project!  Good luck!

~Tom

Offline PostholesTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Self Pathing AR.Drone
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 04:36:49 PM »
Thank you Tom!

I've been trying to do some research into it and sometimes I find something that makes it look simple and other questions pop up to make it seem nearly impossible to accomplish on my budget/time scale LOL.

I will take your advice and look into the arduino boards/forums to try to find a bit of help with that.

My uncle mentioned PLC's to me over the Easter weekend. Does anybody have a suggestion on how that would work, ease compared to arduino boards?

This project is for a Software Engineering degree so I need to use software to solve problems, the hardware is just to make it more exciting.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list