Author Topic: How to question  (Read 1798 times)

Offline sebyTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
How to question
« on: March 11, 2010, 07:00:04 PM »
I have been reading a lot of the posts and I know that I have come to the right place. I need help figuring out what motor to use and how to set it up.
I know a drawing would work better but I will try to explain it. I need to lower a boom 4 ft long it is attached to a stationary pole anchored floor to ceiling  the bottom of the boom is 6ft off the ground it is pivoting at the bottom of the boom to a 45 degree angle. I need to lift 30lbs with the boom and lower it. I was thinking of using thin cable and pulley, I just don't know how to set up the motor or if there is a small motor that can do the job. I need it to be as compact as possible.   

Offline little-c

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
Re: How to question
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 01:58:07 AM »
make a rough schetch in google schetchup 7,

but thin cable isn't going to cope with 30 pounds. use a tow rope.
google how pullys work.

you want a fairly high torque motor, so you need a gearbox. 100~200:1 

Offline sebyTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 01:52:16 AM »
Hi little c
I need the unit to be as compact as possible no bigger than a 5 to 6in box for mptor gearbox and pulley. Do you think that it could done?
thanks for your time replying

Offline little-c

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 03:22:28 AM »
wandering through motors,

if you have the money, some of these will provide the power needed,  http://www.goldenmotor.com/

this is a mains powered motor. http://www.inverterdrive.com/group/Motors-AC/ac-Motor-0-09kw-0-12HP-4Pole-4-pole-Foot-Mounting/default.aspx would do the job if you could mount it on the floor.

look at trossen robotics, they have motors and stuff you would need.

data_list