Author Topic: 16 year old needs help building a robot  (Read 13386 times)

Offline aouate3Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
  • When i heard someone say "Data storage" i paniced
    • ARS
Re: 16 year old needs help building a robot
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2011, 10:31:23 PM »
OK, yea, for pinouts and such, i use google images, gives me multiple different images from different sources, i compare them a few, and the images that match, i use at my guide.

Ill pick up one of the TIP120's and use it for testing, use fets and npn's for the final board.

I'm not afraid of electrostatic discharge, because i have a grounding bracelet for use when working on computers (which is what i do mostly, I'm a hardware tech for my school district's IT department, i do the work they are to busy, lazy, or stupid to do, and i don't get paid, but its a learning experience, been doing it since my 7Th grade year, going into my 11Th grade year, i do most of the IT departs work when it comes to staffs computers and networking issues)

i use the ESD bracelet when I'm working on anything really, (i actually have a small business i run out of my house, fixing things for people, whet er it be cellphones, mp3 players, ipod, laptops, desktops, vaccums, ovens, CRT TVs, LCD TVs, plasma TVs, gaming consoles, i even do pool repair, sprinkler repair ,garage door repair, car repair, and plumbing)

(yea, i do a good job at it to, the other day i had to work on a BMW 330xi that had a broken door lock on the passenger side, the lock wouldn't unlock, manually or electronically, a bent rod on the lock mechanism was the cause. i ordered a new lock, then had to remove the door panel from the door, with the door closed (on a $60,000 car, that's a scary thought, no other way around it though, cant get the door open, and the lock mechanism is encased in plastic.)

i got the door panel off without damaging it and with breaking a single clip, removed the black fabric-ish material held on with that gum like stuff, removed the window's roller bar unbolted the lock, removed the old lock, put the new on in, reassembled it, and its good as new, new lock mechanism cost $140, i only charged the owner of the car $50 for labor, got the repair done in a hour. faster then the BMW dealer could do it.)

even with all my skills, im dont have the skills to design a circuit, repairing a circuit is a different story, we have a range in our kitchen, the digital control panel was deal for 15 years, 4 certified repair techs couldnt fix it, i fixed it in 2 hours, heat had caused the traces on the board to weaken, and act like resistors, causeing the microcontroller not to function properly, i went to radioshack, bought a prefboard, tranfered the components from the old pcb to the prefboard, wired it up, and its been working for 2 years now, not a single problem.

i could easily go on telling many more repairs i have done, but ill save you the time and get to the point, I know how to handle electronics, and high currents, ive only been shocked by 240v ac once, and THANK GOD, i lost my balance, it was on a pool pump i was replacing, a mis-wired breaker box (the guy that owned the house isnt very good with wiring, and installed the pool himself years ago, the breaker was connected to the white, and not the black, so the line was still hot, was dissconecting the wires, and balancing well i was doing it, not a lot of room where i was working, got shocked fell backwards... now i probe ac sources with my multimeter and a AC voltage detector...

Still learning as i go, but for being only 16 (granted, i am turning 17 in december) and growing up without a father, or anyone to help me with the repairs, i came out pretty well, i bet my father would be proud.

Also, sorry about me making multiple posts, my mind was on other things, also my girlfriend was at my house, so i posted the message quickly, forgetting to add it to my existing post. Not much of a excuse, but its the truth.

Also, is the schematic i posted correct? am i doing something wrong, wrong value resistors maybe? 
Been working with electronics since i was 2 (i was mostly taking them apart) around the age of 6 is when i started repairing electronics, ever since i have been fixing EVERYTHING, even pools and cars

Offline aouate3Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
  • When i heard someone say "Data storage" i paniced
    • ARS
Re: 16 year old needs help building a robot
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »
bump bump bump
Been working with electronics since i was 2 (i was mostly taking them apart) around the age of 6 is when i started repairing electronics, ever since i have been fixing EVERYTHING, even pools and cars

Get Your Ad Here

data_list