Mechanics and Construction > Mechanics and Construction

Steering with 12v motor

<< < (3/3)

Mastermime:
So you're trying to use Ackermann's steering, not tank style steering?  Or did I read that incorrectly?

soninja8:

--- Quote from: Tommy on January 14, 2013, 06:05:40 PM ---
--- Quote ---For my steering I am using one electric motor controlled by a motor driver to move two bars that are connected to the front two wheels.
--- End quote ---
soninja8, have you considered spring loading the steering axle to a center position(straight), gear the one electric motor
in a way that it can overcome the spring force yet spring back to center when motor power is removed.

Tommy   

--- End quote ---

That's exactly what I'm thinking of doing, although I will have to either get a more powerful motor or gear it up. Also, I'm wondering how I could go in reverse since I am using an engine with a clutch.

Tommy:

--- Quote ---I'm wondering how I could go in reverse since I am using an engine with a clutch.
--- End quote ---

http://www.google.com/#q=go+kart+reverse+gear&hl=en&tbo=u&source=univ&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=_E_1UK7bJcfX2QWOwoDwDw&ved=0CEYQsxg&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=260534c26339dbc2&biw=1356&bih=631

Tommy

soninja8:

--- Quote from: Tommy on January 15, 2013, 06:51:00 AM ---
--- Quote ---I'm wondering how I could go in reverse since I am using an engine with a clutch.
--- End quote ---

http://www.google.com/#q=go+kart+reverse+gear&hl=en&tbo=u&source=univ&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=_E_1UK7bJcfX2QWOwoDwDw&ved=0CEYQsxg&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=260534c26339dbc2&biw=1356&bih=631

Tommy

--- End quote ---

I did some further research on clutches with reverse functionality, but all require 80cc+...

Tommy:

--- Quote ---That's exactly what I'm thinking of doing
--- End quote ---
soninja8, just keep in mind, if the motor is spun by the springs it then becomes a generator
and may harm motor drive circuits.

--- Quote ---I am making a gas powered "tank" that runs off of a 30cc engine
--- End quote ---
IMO the simplest way to implement this type of task would be to use the ICE to turn a generator
supplying power too electric motors(two, one for each track).   

Tommy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version