Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 1607 times)

Offline rmbotTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« on: December 06, 2009, 09:28:39 PM »
Not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum, but here goes.

I've been interested in robots for some time and just recently purchased the Robotic Arm Edge as a starting point.  I've got it completed and was wanting to do some experimenting.  I'd like to remove the controller and write a program that will allow me to control the arm from my computer.  I have very little high programming experience and no low-level programming experience whatsoever.  Can anyone give me some pointers or advice or at least point me in the direction to get the appropriate training?

Thanks.

Offline z.s.tar.gz

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • Linux Guru
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 12:57:02 PM »
Well, you're going to want to do three things:

1. Learn as much about programming as you can. This is absolutely critical.
Personally, I'd say try learning about low-level stuff because everything is based on it, but that's just my opinion.

2. You're going to need to get a hold of a microcontroller with plenty of I/O as the robot arm seems to have quite a bit of functions.

3. Set up the MC for uart so it can communicate with the computer. The SoR page can be found here: http://www.societyofrobots.com/microcontroller_uart.shtml

This all rests on step one though, because if you can't program well you'll drive yourself crazy trying to do this.
Save yourself the typing. Just call me Zach.

Get Your Ad Here