go away spammer

Author Topic: Cheap, Easy, Non-advanced Robot talk  (Read 8495 times)

Offline sotuTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
Cheap, Easy, Non-advanced Robot talk
« on: April 02, 2007, 02:00:47 PM »
Im a young inventor looking for inspiration wherever i can find it. I have just started out making a wheeled robot with plans to arm it with wepons, sort of a Battlebot looking robot. I've made a homepage, logo ( My Profile picture) and started out with a Non-Advanced robot.

Anyone else here with not to advanced robots, who can tell me something about there robot?

Please visit my webside for my robots: www.tunliweb.no/sotu.htm
(JUST STARTED IT, VISIT IT FOR A WHILE FOR CHANGES)  ;)
How to build a biped bot:

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
Re: Cheap, Easy, Non-advanced Robot talk
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 07:42:54 PM »
I'm gonna build admin's $50 robot and when I'm done I'll pass on anything I learned
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline nanob0t

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Trust Your Technolust
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 08:39:44 PM »
Lets see.

I built a robot that searches for humans in run down places.  Using a pyroelectric sensor, IRPD, two DC motors, servo, and uh...  I think that's it, it would search for humans.  The pyroelectric sensor would search for human body heat, while the IRPD scans distances.  It scans a 13 places in an 180 degree or so array and finds the furthest area, then moves to it.  If it finds a human it moves to it and maps an area on a gps a human holds.   I actually won first place in the National Robotics Competition for this.

Second robot is for Batelle.  It's a massive, treaded robot.  They want me to turn it into a medical delivery robot.  Soooo...  I have an RFID Card Reader, RFID Tags, Ultrasonic Range Finder, Line Tracking Sensor, servos, and I think that's about it.  It has a huge DC motor hooked up to a servo controller (For the PWM).  The RFID is for the people to get their appropriate medicine.  The Rangefinder is to detect people in front of it.  Line Tracker is how it moves.  Servos are for the dispension of the trays.  And that's about it. 

I'm convincing Batelle to make it an office robot, because nurses have to make sure people TAKE their medicine and don't put it in their pocket or put it under their tongue.  It would be dumb having a tank follow a nurse around with an easily handled tray.

That's about it so far.  I'm only 16, so I haven't really gotten much done.  I'm trying to develop Artificial Intelligence only to find out that I can't afford it and have to virtually model it  :-[

If you want to know anything I learned, feel free to ask

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 02:35:56 AM »
WoW. This is a little to advanced for me, but how much would a robot like this cost? not the buying price but the price for all the parts u needed to build it?
And that ure 16 and so good within robotic shows that if u keep on u will presumably be something when u grow up. I hope i diden't missunderstand the age!

Offline jshalcott

• Helpful? 0
  • The Party Has Arived
    • coming soon
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 10:22:29 PM »
The most simple weapon is a spinning blade, that might cost 25 bucks, it just uses a blade from a saw and a servo and motor. You really dont need to worry about torque or anything like that, as long as its a sharp blade and it spins fast. The robot part will probably cost about $50-$100, unless you have radio recievers, transmitters, motors, servos and motor controller laying around the house.
DONT DO DRUGS!!!!

Offline trigger

• Helpful? 0
  • It's an op amp, not a gun part.
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 11:09:54 PM »
The most simple weapon is a spinning blade, that might cost 25 bucks, it just uses a blade from a saw and a servo and motor. You really dont need to worry about torque or anything like that, as long as its a sharp blade and it spins fast. The robot part will probably cost about $50-$100, unless you have radio recievers, transmitters, motors, servos and motor controller laying around the house.

An even simpler weapon is to make your robot a wedgebot. 
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who can read binary, and those who can't.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 06:42:48 AM »
Yeah, i've thought a little about just making the robot drive fast and make some spikes of nails or screws. This won't cost anything because i allready have it and it will be affective! But it would be much cooler with a blade and it would take more damage in a battle against another robot!

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 04:41:28 PM »
Is that a smart idea or?

Offline Hal9000

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 11:42:17 AM »
Dont put weapons on a bot unless you've built a few robots beforehand, I reckon

Anything could happen
"The truth is, you can't hide from the truth, cos the truth is all there is" - Handsome Boy Modeling School

Offline nanob0t

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Trust Your Technolust
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 05:30:15 PM »
I have some schematics and designs for an EMP generator.  You could turn that on for 1/2 a second and the other robot would be dead  ;D    Except you'd have to have 4 outlets running to it.   ::)

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 06:09:04 PM »
I have some schematics and designs for an EMP generator.  You could turn that on for 1/2 a second and the other robot would be dead  ;D    Except you'd have to have 4 outlets running to it.   ::)
What about your robot?
Is there even a type of shielding for emp?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 03:54:37 AM »
I have finnaly decided, i have removed the wheel and are gonna use the motor driving a rubber band connected to a round saw blade..!:D

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 10:26:32 AM »
Sounds great, but a rubber band will stretch maybe a rubber belt.
I took a apart a sewing machine a couple months ago, and found this 6" diamiter belt in there with teeth and appropriate pulleys or whatevers they connect to

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 02:14:33 PM »
Yeah but i dont have that for hand..:( i use what i got.:P i usually not buy things i use things i got or can get from toys example

Offline Hal9000

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 04:12:37 PM »
Blatantly this is your first robot. I strongly advise that you dont mess with saw blades.
"The truth is, you can't hide from the truth, cos the truth is all there is" - Handsome Boy Modeling School

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007, 02:02:52 PM »
Blatantly this is your first robot. I strongly advise that you dont mess with saw blades.

Im thinking of making the saw blade out of tree with sharp metal edges on each of the ends (Couse im going to saw a couple of inches into the round wood "Blade" So it will look like a saw blade, dont be so dangerous and will work powefully!

Offline nanob0t

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Trust Your Technolust
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 11:24:08 AM »
What about your robot?
Is there even a type of shielding for emp?
[/quote]

You can directionally controll EMP.  If you create the generator right, then it will not effect your robot, but that's very difficult. 

In terms of sheilding, nope not at all.  I'm sure if you put some distance between your robot and the electronics, it MAY be possible.  Other than that your robot's electronics are dead.

I wouldn't recommend building a saw blade out of wood.  First of all, you have to make the saw blade evenly weighted or else it's going to wobble, destroying the shaft, and you don't want to damage the motor.  Want a saw blade, stick with a saw blade.  I don't recommend it though.  Try putting a ice cream lid or something on it first, something that wont lope your arm off.

If you want a battlebot, don't forget an emergency switch readily available on the robot.  If the brackets attaching the motor break and the saw blade spins wildly around threatening the lives of the audience and probably you...   and you have to dive in and pull the power, it won't be fun.  Just a giant red on/off button.

I wouldn't recommend jumping right into the project though.  Maybe get the robot to move first, then you can make it fancy.  Keep in mind the weight of the stuff you may attach though when building. 

You can think outside the box and come up with a different robot weapon.  Maybe have it spin wildly with giant spikes... who knows?

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 12:31:34 PM »
Im trying out some electronics stuff now so the wepons isen't my 1'st priority. I have made everything  ready, and have everything ready in mind what im looking for when i want a wepon. I wil soon post pictures and i promise u, it won't be as fancy and advanced u may think it is! :D

Offline Kohanbash

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 05:53:41 PM »
just to repeat and add to what Hal9000 said for your first robot you definitely do not want to mess with things that can/will become painful.
Also as it is your first robot you might want to build something easier and smaller. Most people in this forum would agree that you should build something basic as your first project, so that you gain a little experience for your next robot.
Robots for Roboticists Blog - http://robotsforroboticists.com/

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2007, 01:02:57 AM »
But im allmost done with it. I cant stop now!

Offline zamboniman60

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2007, 02:57:43 PM »
Regarding the EMP... If an EMP is just a very strong pulse of radio, then wouldn't a plate of conductive material weaken/stop it by absorbing its energy? Better yet, a grounded conductive plate.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2007, 06:55:30 AM »
I got no eletric circuit knowlodge what's so ever. All i want is either a kit with a manuel on how to put ure own circuit card together or to learn where to wire the wires on a finish made circuit card so i know how to do it and can then buy a finish circuit card and use the knowledge i learned in the kit. Im googleing and googleing but i cant find anything :'( I dont care if i can learn how to put the wires on a circuit card stashed with all the pieces needed or to buy a empty circuit card and put on all the things needed for a cicruit card...PLEASE i need links..! If u dont understand what im saying then say what u dont understand. I'll be happy to explain u!

Get Your Ad Here