Author Topic: Help with Sharp IR sensor  (Read 1745 times)

Offline tobee11Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Help with Sharp IR sensor
« on: August 26, 2010, 04:38:08 PM »
Hello - I have 2 Sharp IR sensor which I need to connect as a system. I will mount the sensors on separate moveable chassis and they will never be more than 2ft apart. They will be aligned so that the sensor "eyes" are pointing in the same direction (parallel to one another). I have attached a crude sketch which shows what I'm trying to accomplish.

I have no experience with IR sensors and am completely ignorant when it comes to electronics, programming, etc. I need someone that is willing to help me design this simple set-up. I'm in San Diego if anyone is nearby and interested in helping me tackle this. I'm in desperate need! Any help is appreciated :)

Thanks.

• Helpful? 0
Re: Help with Sharp IR sensor
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 12:46:44 PM »
Hello again - I've noticed that a fair amount of people have looked at my thread, but no one has responded. Is it because what I am trying to accomplish is extremely difficult or impossible?

Thanks for the help.

Offline cyberfish

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 02:06:01 PM »
It's fairly easy (if you know what you are doing), but will take quite some time. We don't generally have time to build whole projects for people for free.

A forum is more for things like asking a specific question or soliciting advices that someone can answer in a few seconds/minutes.

Your best bet would be to learn to build it yourself, and come back when/if you have specific questions.

For your project, I would recommend starting with the microcontroller tutorial (that would be the "core" of your project).

http://www.societyofrobots.com/microcontroller_tutorial.shtml

Or the $50 robot tutorial, which covers more basic things.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 02:43:15 PM »
OK, great. I'll take a look and start learning. Thank you for nudging me in the right direction. Knowledge is power.....

Thanks again.

Offline Oller125

• Helpful? 2
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 01:02:57 PM »
I'm new here but I may be able to help you. I just want to ask you one question: Will the sensors be linked to the same microcontroller?
You see if they are linked to the same microcontroller the process is relatively easy because you will have both sensor values on one program.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 01:23:20 PM »
Thank you. That is helpful information. To be honest, I have no experience with electronics and will be starting from scratch. I've begun reading the microcontroller tutorial but am a little overwhelmed. Seems like it is going to be one of those things that can only be learned by doing. 

Thanks again. I appreciate the help!

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 11:40:16 AM »
Hi,

Hello - I have 2 Sharp IR sensor which I need to connect as a system. I will mount the sensors on separate moveable chassis and they will never be more than 2ft apart. They will be aligned so that the sensor "eyes" are pointing in the same direction (parallel to one another). I have attached a crude sketch which shows what I'm trying to accomplish.

I have no experience with IR sensors and am completely ignorant when it comes to electronics, programming, etc. I need someone that is willing to help me design this simple set-up. I'm in San Diego if anyone is nearby and interested in helping me tackle this. I'm in desperate need! Any help is appreciated :)

Thanks.
Homework?

You don't need a microcontroller to compare the output of two Sharp distance sensors.
A dual comparator (or op-amp if you cannot get a comparator), set up as a window comparator will do nicely and you can define the width of the window (i.e. the amount of distance they can differ and still be signalled as even).
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here

data_list