Author Topic: Motor to move a chain.  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Fiery DuckTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Motor to move a chain.
« on: December 21, 2010, 06:33:17 PM »
Hey guys, I need help. I have this small robot I'm making and need a motor to move the yet to be built miniature chain I'm going to have on its chainsaw. How would I need to hook this up for it to work?

Offline greasemonkey94

• Helpful? 1
Re: Motor to move a chain.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 11:13:44 AM »
Hello,

Hmm could you please elaborate on the whole mechanism, if it is on a chainsaw why not just the chainsaw ;D
otherwise your going to need a motor and a motor driver if your going to use a microcontroller and /or a sprocket which fits
into the links exactly, you can probably salvage the sprocket from the chainsaw and you are also probably going to need a gearmotor.

hope this helps

Offline VegaObscura

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 6
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 12:02:28 PM »
Chainsaws typically require extreme amounts of power to cut anything since they have to move at high speeds with high torque.  There's a reason why its nearly impossible to find an electric chainsaw.  If you're planning to use a full size chainsaw then I recommend you use its built-in gas engine and add electric controls to start and stop it.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 01:16:15 PM »
Hi,

There's a reason why its nearly impossible to find an electric chainsaw.
It's easy finding electrical chainsaws - I guess about 1/4 to 1/3 of all sold in Denmark is electrical.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 01:17:58 PM »
Hi,

Hey guys, I need help. I have this small robot I'm making and need a motor to move the yet to be built miniature chain I'm going to have on its chainsaw. How would I need to hook this up for it to work?
What size of chain are you talking about?
What's it for, cutting or show?
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 06:09:37 PM »
Just to add to what Soeren said... Electric engines are much more efficient than any gas engine... The problem is the power storying a.k.a. batteries... That's why such equipment usually come with a plug :p

For whom the interrupts toll...

Offline Fr0stAngel

• Helpful? 3
  • [O_O] what??
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 12:07:52 PM »

it would help if you could tell the robot/ chainsaw size, and what's its intended use....depending on the size i'd go with a geared dc motor.....where i live, there's like this big scrap market for cars....you can easily get the window operating motors cheap, having high torque, and around 80 rpm....(works on nearly 2 amps)after that a chain and sprocket mechanism isn't hard to attach.
'crazy' is the new hype! =)

Get Your Ad Here

data_list