go away spammer

Author Topic: stocking up on parts...  (Read 3069 times)

Offline jamortTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
stocking up on parts...
« on: June 19, 2009, 12:09:48 PM »
ok so i did this a little while ago and spent about 400$ but now my supply is getting low.... my queston is have you ever had any experiences with the following site and how were they...
www.futurlec.com
I was going to but off of www.maximurobotics.com cause theyre cheap but these guys look even cheaper...
thanks
CJ
my english teacher once said, "dont talk about what you dont know in public...."

so I replied the truth, " Exactly why I dont ever talk about English."

Offline chelmi

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
    • Current projects
Re: stocking up on parts...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 12:53:58 PM »
I ordered parts from them 6 months ago. It's good but you have to be patient, shipping took about 4 weeks (I live in Canada).

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 01:15:49 PM »
yeah that may be different for the us though.. Im looking and its looking like it may be a $40 price difference for what im ordering....
my english teacher once said, "dont talk about what you dont know in public...."

Offline Qubix

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 05:02:46 PM »
I've ordered off both.  I found maximumrobotics to be nice friendly people who answered my emails quickly and order things in that where out of stock for me.

Futurlec, where cheap cheap cheap. Took quite a while for shipping (to Ireland, maybe a month) and some parts where missing on arrival, but they sent them out when I emailed them. So not a horror story, but I've read about people having trouble with them.

Its a matter of quick delivery and peace of mind against cost.

David
http://robots.ie  - Ireland's robot site

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 01:21:52 AM »
i allways get parts from futurlec, never had a problem with them.
parts are dirt cheap, so is shipping. shipping took ~3 weeks.
Howdy

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 01:53:56 AM »
yeah im just checking not trying to get screwed here... i know hte pats are cheap but ill probably order a good 200$ in compnents cause i went through the other stuff that i got in like 8 months.... and it was a lot.. lol omg i sound like a sixxth grader...   have you tried futurlecs value packs thats what im plannin on getting and so atmeagas i just used my last 8 and only got like 3 16s left...
I need to find pc board in bulk to i got through about 5 pieces a week cause its the summer and im bored... and 5 pieces add up lol

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 03:30:57 AM »
what is the best way to pay when ordering off those sites

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 04:40:57 AM »
value packs are good if you just want to have random components around encase you want to experiment a bit.
its a good idea to get a few.
@joker94, i give my dad cash and he pays using credit card. i find this easiest. but i think they do have some other methods

Payments

CREDIT CARD
We accept Mastercard,Visa and American Express. No surcharge is charged to your account. We will not charge your credit card until your order is complete and despatched.

DIRECT DEPOSIT
We can accept payment by direct deposit into our Commonwealth Bank of Australia account. Please contact us directly for bank details at [email protected]

PAYPAL
Payments by paypal can be made directly to our account. Please email us a copy of your shopping cart and we will confirm the order amount and details for the transfer, please email to [email protected]

CHEQUES AND MONEY ORDERS
Cheques or Money Orders drawn in AUD Dollars will be accepted. These will recquire clearance prior to despatch of goods, please note this can take up to 7 days.
Howdy

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 08:49:15 AM »
I avoid most value packs.... usually they don't have a good variety, and they will give you some odd stuff like only 3 of an important value like 10k ohms and like 50 of some useless value like 25M or something. Remmber... they don't make value packs to help you, its just a way for them to get rid of all of their random junk  ;D

I just buy component assortmens off of ebay... like 50 values of 50 resistors (2500 resistors!) for 20 shipped, and I'm set for a long time - plus everything is labeled so I don't have to bother going through each component and identifying them.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 04:03:30 PM »
hmm, i wish they sold resistor assortments to australia :-\
do you think the shipping would be too hard for australia?
Howdy

Offline awally88

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 05:35:50 PM »
@Smash Jaycar sells mixed bags of resistors in Australia, I think Dick Smith (shudder) would too if you don't have a Jaycar.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 12:29:17 AM »
i never saw mixed resistors is jaycar before?
and why with the shudder for ds? they are alright..
Howdy

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 03:07:23 AM »
i bought my first lot of assorted resistors from dick smiths. There were only 300 but i didn't know where to start. now i just order in  bulk through aztronics and places like that. I also got a bag of diodes and capacitors(3 sorts). lasted for 2 -3  months and gave me a good starting point

but it is cheaper to order in bulk as i do now but back to topic, assorted packs give people who have no idea where to begin a good starting point therfor can be really handy.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 10:24:26 AM »
ordering in bulk can be a great thing if you know you will use it, i always get heaps of voltage regulators so i get a discount when i order.

and ps: dick smith and jaycar are way overpriced, ~$1.35 for one voltage regulator! pssshht! futurlec has em for $.35!
Howdy

Offline awally88

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 01:57:06 AM »
I have a friend that works there so I get staff discount. It's an extra 50c to get one that doesn't take 3 months to get here, big stuff I buy online for the savings but its not worth it for the little stuff.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 03:08:52 AM »
I have a friend that works there so I get staff discount.
man i wish i could work there...
i know that it is more convenient to just go down the road if you need something now but thinking ahead,
if i know i will use more i will get heaps.
Howdy

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 06:30:15 AM »
i'm not sure but i heard that dick smiths were getting ot of components and just focusing on appliances and computergames

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 02:29:10 PM »
:o those bastards! ;D but that wouldn't entirely surprise me as haven't most radioshacks in America done the same?
Howdy

Offline kpmcgurk

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
  • Robot Love?
    • Probotic world (in progress)
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 03:28:33 PM »
yes, some radio shacks carry them and some dont... but either way, they are way overpriced. it is nice to have them when you are working on a project and you run out of something and you need them right away!!
some people are just Born smart, but some people have to work for it, and those are the people who succeed.

http://www.proboticworld.com

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 01:42:08 AM »
least we will still have jay car

is there an aztronics in nsw

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 02:21:42 AM »
i think they only have one in Adelaide :-\ http://www.aztronics.com.au/index.html
Howdy

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 04:11:06 AM »
It's great, you can bulk buy and you can pop in and pick up a one off.An dfor your basic components it is cheap.

Get Your Ad Here