Author Topic: Just got a Parallax sumo-bot!  (Read 4713 times)

Offline izaktjTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Just got a Parallax sumo-bot!
« on: October 24, 2008, 12:55:00 AM »
Yep, and I've already tried the basic programs. Now I shall try the easy programs, and so on.
Anyone else has experiences about it that would like to share?

BTW, here are some pics of the building of it  8)

The beginning:

My teammate building his robot

Finished!

3-View

« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 12:58:20 AM by izaktj »

Offline SciTech02

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
  • Life's but a green duck with soy sauce. -MegaHAL
Re: Just got a Parallax sumo-bot!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 11:04:12 AM »
Well, I don't have any direct experience with the Sumo-bot, but I did own a BOE-bot for a long time (similar robot, also made by Parallax).  You'll find they're very well built and easy to program (PBASIC is a very easy language to learn).  The only problem is it would be difficult to upgrade the Sumo with one of Parallax's accessories (they're all designed for the BOE-bot).  But that's why you build your own accessories.  ;) I suggest that once you get the hang of the Sumo-bot, buy the wheel encoders Parallax offers (those should allow you to do more interesting things).
Check out the Evolution Robotics, ER1 robot, and ERSP Resource Page: http://www.societyofrobots.com/member_tutorials/node/336

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 01:58:11 PM »
Well, I don't have any direct experience with the Sumo-bot, but I did own a BOE-bot for a long time (similar robot, also made by Parallax).  You'll find they're very well built and easy to program (PBASIC is a very easy language to learn).  The only problem is it would be difficult to upgrade the Sumo with one of Parallax's accessories (they're all designed for the BOE-bot).  But that's why you build your own accessories.  ;) I suggest that once you get the hang of the Sumo-bot, buy the wheel encoders Parallax offers (those should allow you to do more interesting things).

Nice! Yeah right now I'm trying to learn that programming language. I do get the logic of it I just need more practice :D
My teacher said it'd be great to add a sonar too. I also got 2 servos I bought to build the $50 robot, I wonder how could I use them in the sumobot  8)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 02:38:06 PM by izaktj »

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 05:45:56 PM »
Here are some pics of the sensors, for a friend who doesn't know how to plug them lol

data_list