go away spammer

Author Topic: Mindstorms  (Read 3324 times)

Offline nadoggggTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Mindstorms
« on: January 01, 2009, 11:28:15 PM »
Does anyone feel that Lego mindstorms is a good robot basis, or is making one from scratch better and less expensive.

Offline jamort

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
Re: Mindstorms
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 12:58:02 AM »
This can go either way.... you can learn some mechanical things with it but to me the old set is a lot better then the nxt as far as being able to build stuff....
the next has a lot better sensors and unless you program in robotc or such advanced languages theres nothing to programming your better off to build something like the $50 robot ans get started in regular robotics unless your like under 10 the new kit is extremely hard to learn hw to build a good base but i can give you some pointers if you wish...
my english teacher once said, "dont talk about what you dont know in public...."

so I replied the truth, " Exactly why I dont ever talk about English."

Offline roboboy12

• Helpful? 0
  • bang man
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 02:50:13 PM »
well the mindstorms rcx and nxt are both hackable with robo realm it has the laguage of the two drives you should download it at /http://www.roborealm.com/url]

P.S. ITS FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 02:53:21 PM by roboboy12 »
Roboboy12 ;>

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 04:11:56 PM »
Oh hehe. What is the old Nxt?

Offline jamort

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 06:37:32 PM »
it was called the rcx but i think as of 2009 th3ey stopped making them
my english teacher once said, "dont talk about what you dont know in public...."

so I replied the truth, " Exactly why I dont ever talk about English."

Offline roboticage

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
  • http://www.roboticage.eu
    • RoboticAge
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 05:54:28 PM »
   LEGO Mindstorms NXT it's a SUPERB toy for anyone interested in robotics but especially for those who want to
cross a little bit the line of just controlling a RC robot and do a little (or more) programming with a very easy to
understand visual schematics.
   As far as I understand and see the world of robotics it's maybe one of the most exciting way to try to do your
very own robot programmed with your very own program !!!
   I think it's more simple to buy a robot RTW (ready to walk) if humanoid and just upload in his "mind" programs
made by others but NXT will make you feel like a creator and little by little from a little change in the robots you
can find already done with instructions on the net (there are hundreds on the Mindstorms website) to your
very own creations! I'll definitely recommend it to anyone !!!

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 08:04:53 PM »
I would have probably not gotten so far in robotics today if I wasn't playing with Mindstorms. Not only playing, but participating to competitions, finding ways to build a robot and program it with such a restrictive hardware platform as the old RCX is. 3 sensor inputs and 3 motor outputs are not enough for a decent robot. The new Mindstorms set, the NXT, is a lot better, with a more powerfull microcontroller, more sensor inputs, better sensors, better motors (with built in encoders). The system has a great mechanical flexibility and it will teach you to build better robots.
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

Offline roboticage

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
  • http://www.roboticage.eu
    • RoboticAge
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 07:51:47 AM »
   The NXT has also 3 motor outputs and only 4 sensor inputs but you could interconnect up to 4 NXT one to another so you can multiply your options.
It has bluetooth built-in capabilities and you can control your robot from your mobile phone look:
http://mindstorms.lego.com/overview/Mobile%20Application.aspx

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 12:55:10 PM »
   The NXT has also 3 motor outputs and only 4 sensor inputs but you could interconnect up to 4 NXT one to another so you can multiply your options.
It has bluetooth built-in capabilities and you can control your robot from your mobile phone look:
http://mindstorms.lego.com/overview/Mobile%20Application.aspx

It also has I2C interface, so you can use that to add a great number of sensors and OpenServos (they are using I2C interface). There is also a NXTcam so you can have even vision with the NXT kit. A great number of sensors (accelerometer, gyro, compass, IR...) are available from different companies. It is not cheap, but if you are not a hardware guy, it is the perfect system. Once you gain experience and want to build bigger robots, you will be more confident and do less mistakes.
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 09:45:27 PM »
OH...... THANK U!!!!!

Get Your Ad Here