go away spammer

Author Topic: TOTAL NEWBIE to Robots  (Read 7421 times)

Offline hyperwaveTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
TOTAL NEWBIE to Robots
« on: February 25, 2007, 07:20:06 AM »
Hello guys ,
I recently discovered your website and I really like it as i always wanted to build a robot like everyone here. What i am asking for here guys is some step by step tutorials or guides to build my first robot from scratch. I don't wanna use any kits I wanna build it myself.You might ask me what it has to do and what tasks it should fulfill. Well actually the basics , I t could have a wheel maybe it could talk (but i think this is hard or?)
Are there any PDfs with pictures as to guide me?
thank you for helping me in advance
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 07:26:06 AM by hyperwave »

Offline Hal9000

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
Re: TOTAL NEWBIE to Robots
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 09:04:03 AM »
If you go into the 'Misc' part of the forum, there is a sticky called 'NEWBIES read this first' atb the top.

That is meant to guide you :)

Hope that helped

Ian R
"The truth is, you can't hide from the truth, cos the truth is all there is" - Handsome Boy Modeling School

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 12:43:14 PM »
Admin's upcoming tutorial about the $50 robot would be great to get started. the links to it are on the home page.
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline 555 timer chip guy

• Helpful? 0
    • Robots and Circuits
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 11:07:56 AM »
I have a fun robot you could try. It is relay simple its only task is to drive forword and then if it encounters an obstacle it backs up and and terns and then continues on its way it is the first robot I built.To start you will need 2 DPDT relays, 2 3904 NPN transistors,2 DC motor around 5 volts,2 LEDs any color your chows,1 2200uF polarized capacitor, 1 6800uF polarized capacitor, 4 AA battery holder and 4 AAs, a push switch,2 22K resistors, 2 470 resistors, a small bread board,22 gage solid hook up wire(for jumpers and connections), some sort of base to mount it all on(such as a Peace of wood or my favorite legos), and weals two big and a small swivel wheel.All this stuff (except for the base and wheels) you can get at www.jameco.com I would recommend building the base firs and then ht circuit, but you can do it eather way.First we will build the base (please repost me on which type of base to go with and then I will instruct one how to make it with lego or wood construction I would recommend lego if you have then). In the mean time here is the circuit diagram. All of the parts are the same as the parts in the parts list.start Assembly by making  jumper of different sizes here is an example. place the parts and test the only function forword and when you push the bumper (the switch in front of the robot) the robot backs up terns and continues forword.

Offline Steve Joblin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
    • Roebotz
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 12:54:35 PM »
There are three main "diciplines" of robotics:  Electrical Engineering; Mechanical Engineering; Computer Programming Engineering.

For a simple robot, and as a newbie, I would think that the "electrical" and "programming" aspects would be the most challenging, so I would focus on that.

IMHO, Parallax makes the best "starter" kit (the Boebot).  the mechanical assembly is quite simple.  What makes this such a good kit is the tutorial that goes along with it. It will give you a good intro into basic principles of electronics and programming.  I know you said that you don't want a kit, but as a newbie, I can't think of a better product that will get you started!

Offline Dluberus

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 11:19:18 AM »
I have a question. So do you think it's better to start with a kit or from scratch? Because I did a lot of research, over 257 pages in fact, but all it told me was that if you start from scratch, you will have to pay A LOT MORE MONEY (Ranging from 100 - 6,000). That's why I'm confused. There are a lot of kits I like that are pretty cheap, but then, since Everything is there already, I won't have as much experience as building out of scratch.

Offline rgcustodio

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Use "Search" and ye might find answers!
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 11:36:52 AM »
It all depends on your current abilities/skill set and financial situation. With any project, funding is always the big problem. :)

IMHO, kits are a very good introduction to robotics. If I were you, I'd go with the sumo-type robots that can be programmed. Programmable because you can change its behavior this offers a lot of opportunity to develop your robot, interface to new sensors. Sumo-type because when you finished it you can attend competitions :)

If building from scratch, you'll learn mainly how to solder, understand schematic diagrams and program the robot. Don't think, even for a moment, that kits are easy and might be suited only for kids. Kids at heart can also use them :)

If building from scratch, you must know how to compute resistor, capacitor values, and envision all the electronics, you'll need to know the data sheet of the MCU you will be using, you'll be dealing with chips, etc. Its tough if, like me, one doesn't have the pre-requisite knowledge as mentioned by Steve Joblin. If you have electronics background (EE or ECE) then building a robot from scratch will not be much of a problem.

You weigh all of the item mentioned by everyone who replied then choose your path....

- Rommel
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 06:58:46 PM by rgcustodio »
The best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain. - H. W. Longfellow

understanding is the path to enlightenment

Offline Dluberus

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 06:19:27 PM »
Thanks, that helped a lot. I was also wondering if anyone has a beginners programming document and has found robot programming software that I can download.

Offline Steve Joblin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
    • Roebotz
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 07:50:10 PM »
For beginners programming, I would start with a microcontroller that you can program in BASIC.  There are two good microcontrollers that have FREE programming software... the PICAXE and the BASIC STAMP by Parallax.

Download PICAXE stuff at http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe/software.htm

Download BASIC STAMP stuff at http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/software/software_basic_stamp.asp

Offline sotu

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 08:10:47 AM »
I cant use the BASIC program for a Pololu microcontroller right?
How to build a biped bot:

Offline KambeiX

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 03:35:01 PM »
you can use a BASIC programmed BASIC Stamp and connect it to a pololu controller (or any controller that supports serial communications) or control it from the PC programming in Visual Basic or any other language.

Offline Steve Joblin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
    • Roebotz
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 04:39:08 PM »
I think you are confusing things Sotu... Pololu does not make microcontrollers, they make controllers that are pre-programmed.  If you have a microcontroller, you can send a command to the controllers that Pololu offers.

Offline sotu

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 03:38:57 AM »
http://www.pololu.com/products/pololu/0207/
Im buying this: Pololu Micro Serial Servo Controller
And a USB to serial adapter which i attach to the controller.
I will program this controller with the programming language C.
And i dont get what u mean about they coming pre-programmed, couse i have to program them myself.. ???

Offline KambeiX

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 09:25:58 AM »
It means that you don't have to program the pulse generation needed for each servo to work, you only have to send what servo you want to move and where do you want to move it.

Offline Steve Joblin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
    • Roebotz
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 11:03:21 AM »
Sotu... sorry for the confusion... what I mean is that the PIC on the Pololu Micro Serial Servo Controller is pre-programmed... it listens for a serial command (that you send it via a microcontroller) and then takes care of executing the appropriate pulses to move the servo the way you want it based on the serial command you gave it.

The User's guide (http://www.pololu.com/products/pololu/0207/ssc03a_guide.pdf) describes the format for the serial commands that it is "listening" for.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 11:06:18 AM by Steve Joblin »

Offline sotu

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 12:47:59 PM »
Yeh im on that PDF file!

Get Your Ad Here