Author Topic: Remote Control $50 Robot Board  (Read 1686 times)

Offline arrrrgonTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Remote Control $50 Robot Board
« on: February 15, 2011, 08:59:47 AM »
Would something like this be able to function with the $50 robot?
http://www.rentron.com/rf_remote_control.htm

From looking at the schematics on the website, it looks like it can connect to a microcontroller such as the ATMega8, but I'm not positive.  Is this something that could be added to the programming to allow for this robot to be remote controlled or am I wasting my time?  I'd like to make a working remote from scratch as well as the robot from scratch rather than buy a premade remote and receiver.  I'm still new to this, so if I'm wasting my time, please let me know.

Also, if I'd be better off using the controllers that are recommended on the rentron website, I can always use those so long as I'm not required to buy the $230 software from their website in order to program them.

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
Re: Remote Control $50 Robot Board
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 10:12:53 AM »
RF links can be troublesome, especially with the low cost modules.

My recommendation if you want to build your own remote is to use an IR (infrared) TV remote for the sender (or even build your own). There are IR remote sensors chips that are easy to interface with a processor and coding isn't too hard.
See:
http://www.rentron.com/Infrared_Remote_Control.htm
for only one of many IR remote projects.

Offline arrrrgonTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Re: Remote Control $50 Robot Board
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 11:01:49 AM »
I'd like to go with RF if I can pull it off (I'm willing to upgrade the microcontroller if that's the main worry).  After looking over the designs I think I now understand the way the tx/rx both work.  I guess the next step would be to figure out how to send the rx output to the microcontroller instead of directly to the motors.  The rentron site has a small tutorial on that, so hopefully I can work from that.