Author Topic: new pics of next Mars Rover: Curiosity  (Read 1920 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
new pics of next Mars Rover: Curiosity
« on: July 04, 2011, 06:50:34 PM »
It launches at the end of this year, and is scheduled to land around August of 2012. It contains 4.8kg of plutonium-238, and has a laser that can vaporize stuff at 7 meters away! :o

http://www.wired.co.uk/magazine/archive/2011/07/features/rover-returns/viewgallery#!image-number=1

Offline corrado33

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
Re: new pics of next Mars Rover: Curiosity
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 07:07:43 PM »
That's cool!

Is this the one that I remember hearing about that was like a combination of a couple of different rovers from different countries?  At first each country was going to send it's own on a single rocket but then due to cost they were forced to be smaller then they were forced to merge into one? 

I like the plutonium power idea.  I wonder if it'll still have solar cells?  How long will that plutonium power work?  (Hmmm, half life of 87 years..., I think quite a long time is the answer to that question!)  Provided something else doesn't break first.   ;)

I love how when they're talking about the landing "rockets" they say "If it works, it'll be spectacular".  hahaha

Offline heinz357

• Helpful? 1
Re: new pics of next Mars Rover: Curiosity
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 10:43:10 AM »
That looks awesome, but I'm sure those wheels would look far better on my kite buggy!!  ;)

Get Your Ad Here

data_list