Author Topic: Your Opinion on Robotic suite software...part of thesis project :)  (Read 1849 times)

Offline kastoresTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Your Opinion on Robotic suite software...part of thesis project :)
« on: September 29, 2011, 08:48:24 AM »
Hello good sirs!

I am an electronics engineering student and in order to get my diploma i need to fulfill my thesis.
Well, a really small part of my thesis is giving an overview of the robotic suites that are being used now on robotic simulation.

This is where my problem starts...after an extended search on the net i found out the following suites/kits, how they work, their pros/cons etc BUT i wasn't able to find out which of them are used extensively in which areas, if any of them are outdated and so on and so on... ???

And this is where you can help me if you want...i need some "words of the streets"...any opinions,notifications about these suites would be more than welcome. I really would like to know which of them are considered obsolete by the experts nowadays and which of them are really worth of getting into deep...

Well the list i found is this:

•   Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio
•   Virtual Robot Experimentation Platform
•   Player Project
•   Webots
•   Robot Operating System (ROS)
•   anyKode Marilou
•   Simbad robot simulator
•   Robotic Kits
o   LEGO Mindstorms
o   VEX Robotics Design System
o   Qfix robot kit
o   Robotis Bioloid
o   Big Trak (History)
o   Dave's Robotic Operating System
o   Evolution robotics ESRP

if you have any opinion i would be REALLY happy to read from you...best regards! :D

Offline kastoresTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Your Opinion on Robotic suite software...part of thesis project :)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 07:10:39 AM »
Come on guys...all i need is some creative feedback (although i respect if you don't have an opinion about these stuff :P )

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
Re: Your Opinion on Robotic suite software...part of thesis project :)
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 09:40:18 AM »
You've certainly found evidence that the (hobby) robotics market is very fragmented...  I've heard of maybe 60% of your list, and a lot of them aren't what I'd call "robotic simulation," so I'm a bit confused what you're asking for, as well.

As for obsolete... no idea.  Also depends on one's definition of obsolete :)
I

Get Your Ad Here