Author Topic: insides of the Wowee dragonfly  (Read 5165 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
insides of the Wowee dragonfly
« on: March 13, 2007, 11:15:05 PM »
I got to see a dissected Wowee dragonfly and took some pictures the other day:

http://www.societyofrobots.com/images/wowee_dragonfly_1.JPG (~800kb)

http://www.societyofrobots.com/images/wowee_dragonfly_2.JPG (~800kb)

Enjoy!

This has been brought to you by my trip to Caltech to meet the creators of the RoboFly. I now know way more than I need to about studying flies for robotics applications . . . Anyway, they had a really really impressive lab setup to study flies! I also got a demonstration of their most recent RoboFly. I was especially impressed with their wing design - I actually thought it was a really insect wing!

Tomorrow I go to Berkeley to check out the Biomimetic Millisystem Lab.

Offline fluidmech

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: insides of the Wowee dragonfly
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 09:28:08 PM »
Hi John, how do you get so many chances to visit robotic labs? I want to visit them, too.

Offline PrinceOfFlame

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 10:55:19 PM »
I plan on pursuing a career in robotics, and i would like to know as well; how do you get such oppurtunities? I imagine you have friends in all the right places, and use it to your advantage.
The problem about people giving you crap for being something your not isn't the fact that they're wrong about you. It's that they're giving you crap.

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 04:47:20 AM »
There are actually many reasons . . .

In Thailand, on my last trip there, by shear coincidence I was introduced to a guy who was involved with a university robotics club. He is now a good friend, and he had shown me around and introduced me to people. If I ever go back, its one of the first places Ill visit. A PhD from CMU also started a robotics graduate program over there, and a few of my friends know him. Yet another good connection . . .
http://mail.fibo.kmutt.ac.th/FIBO_Eng/

In Cali the labs I visited were work related. We were trying to find professors to work with us as research collaborators.

I have about 8 friends that I know from college that have started robotics companies. And now I know a few more from this website (you know who you are :P).

If you want connections, go to robot competitions and try to become friends with your competitors. Help them out, and they will help you too. I made really good friends from the MOBOT competition, for example.

To be honest there arent many robotics labs in the world. If you want to study robots, go to CMU :P
Its a no brainer 8)

Get Your Ad Here

data_list